Chapter 2 : Finding Tello

The hotel I had chosen was advertised as "a serene retreat nestled amongst lush palm trees in the heart of a vibrant island," but for the low price I paid, I had my doubts. It turned out my doubts were valid. The backdrop was not palm trees, but rather a collection of dark abandoned buildings, with a few struggling trees scattered around. The streets were crowded with scantily clad people, and tents with homeless individuals seemed to be pitched in every dark and available corner. It was clear that my hotel was located in a sketchy part of town, and that made my stomach churn. As I took in the city lights reflected in the darkness and the lively crowds, I couldn't help but wonder if I had stumbled upon some sort of Sicilian holiday celebration. Then it hit me - it was just Friday night, and not everyone shared my preference for an early bedtime. I noticed a hotel sign missing the letter "O," which, not surprisingly, was my hotel.

The interior wasn't any better, as I was greeted by an exhausted receptionist, making me long for the irritating smokey-eyed airport staffer. The desk, furniture, and aura of the reception looked as exhausted as he was. And yet, here I was, disheveled, with a struggling hand luggage, so I guess I fit right in. Upon receiving my keys, I quickly made my way towards the elevator and entered my room. Worn tapestries adorned the walls, and threadbare carpets covered the floors. Even the furniture seemed to be from another era, possibly dating back to the 1950s. But for me, it would do just fine, because Ritzo Ristorante was only a ten-minute walk away from here.

I tossed my hand luggage and ran out, taking only keys and a small purse with me for my phone and charger. I would've taken off my heels, but my only pair of change was in my lost luggage. But Alhamdolilah, no complaining here, as my feet felt much better after the long rest at the airport. As I rode down in the creaky elevator, I took a moment to check my appearance in the dusty mirrors, adjusting my frost-white hijab to make sure the pin was securely fastened under my chin.

"Excuse me, do you know where a restaurant named 'Ritso Ristorante' is located?" With the exhaustion of a long day etched on his face, the boy at the reception desk seemed to deflate as I posed my question. His response came with a heavy sigh and a gesture towards a map. "Down the street until you reach the cinema. Take a left and continue straight for three blocks. Ritso Ristorante will be on your right at the corner, next to a nightclub, Signorina." His tone was weary, as if he had answered this question countless times before. As I thanked him and turned to leave, he hesitantly spoke up again. "Scusa, Signorina, are you sure you want to go at this late hour? Maybe tomorrow would be better, or perhaps I could call a taxi for you. This island, well, they're not used to-" he stumbled over his words but gestured circles around his face. It was clear that he was trying to warn me; whether it was because I was a young woman or because I was visibly Muslim, I couldn't tell, though I suspected the latter. "It's okay," I reassured him, despite my own doubts. "I won't be long." In truth, I didn't have enough money for a taxi. My budget only covered the bare necessities, and I had promised myself I would stick to it. And besides, I had taken two years of taekwondo classes when I was 7 - surely that would be enough to protect me.

As I walked down the crowded streets, music poured out from open doors of nightclubs, bars, and restaurants, all competing for attention. The air was thick with the scent of food and alcohol, mixed with laughter and the neon glow of signs at every corner. It was a true party atmosphere: if you like that sort of thing. As my mother had taught me, I made sure to hold onto my purse tightly and avoid making eye contact with anyone. I also stuck to the well-lit areas with the most people, even if it meant, in this case, enduring a bunch of stares.

Once I turned left near the cinema, it felt like I had entered a whole other world. The small, run-down apartment buildings were replaced by towering skyscrapers adorned with sleek glass panels. Designer boutiques and upscale restaurants seemed to stretch on for miles. And the people walking along these streets were vastly different from those I had seen earlier as well. The glares remained, but here they were accompanied by designer fashion, bigger roads, and expensive cars parked at every spot. Despite the bright lights and bustling energy, I could still feel the cool ocean breeze. It was stronger now, and I knew I must be getting closer to the coastline. Yet, with all the towering buildings in the way, I still couldn't catch a glimpse of it from where I stood.