18 | ᴇɴᴅ ᴏꜰ ʀᴇᴅ ʟɪɢʜᴛ ᴅɪꜱᴛʀɪᴄᴛ

Warnings: Violence, End of an Arc.

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

"Well, I'm impressed. I'm shocked you're still alive after that," Tanjiro's eyes widened as he sat next to Nezuko's box protectively. "You're one lucky guy, aren't you? Well, not that you have anything going for you except being lucky, that is." Gyutaro stood over the helpless boy as the city around them was engulfed in flames. The Houses collapsed, the rusty and weak wood breaking and caving.

The smell of smoke and blood infested Tanjiro's sense of smell, lingering and growing stronger.

"it really is a shame, you know. Every one of your friends are dead or burning under the rubble right now. It only took a single thrust to that boar's heart!" Tanjiro looked at his friend with deep regret, seeing him lay in a pool of his own blood.

"Meanwhile, that yellow-haired boy is trapped under the rubble, so I think I'll leave him there 'til he dies. Squirming around like an insect, how disgraceful is that? And that Hashira, he really was all bark and no bite. It seems the poison got to him after all, and now he's dead like the others. You're all disgraceful, utterly disgraceful." His unnatural voice was laced with slight excitement and animosity, scratching at his skin.

"You all might be pathetic and shameless in your own ways, but you're by far the worst! The one sticking out of the box, that's a relative of yours, isn't it? I can tell she's related to you, you know, even if she is a demon. Tell me, who is she? Your younger sister?" Tanjiro gasped for air as the uncomfortable and the worsening of the situation he was in dawned on him.

The demon bent down, kneeling as he stuck his Blood Sickles into the ground. "I'm talking to you, you know." He growled, his piercing gaze shooting daggers into Tanjiro's.

"The girl in the box.. Is my younger sister." Gyutaro's smirk widened, chuckling. "It's just as I thought, then. You really are a disgrace, huh? Imagine being so useless, you can't protect your own sister . Considering she's a demon, it only makes sense she's stronger than you. Even so, I just can't help but see you as a disgrace! If you're really her big brother, then you should be protecting her and not leaving her to fight all of your battles for you, you coward." He pet his hair gently, suddenly gripping a handful of his hair and squeezing it tightly.
"Hey answer me, worm. You imbecile. Sad sack. Coward! Good-for- nothing! Why was trash like you even born to begin with?!" He shook his head violently, pulling his head closer to him.

"What are you gonna do? I don't know about you, but I'd love to see you try and cut off my head with that useless, battered, disgraceful human body of yours! Come on! Come on! COME ON! !" He yelled sinisterly, throwing his head back.

Without second thought, Tanjiro grabbed Nezuko's box strap, throwing it into his arms as he began to run. The two Upper Rank demons watched in confusion. Gyutaro rolled his eyes with a grin, running up to the boy and kicking him forcefully into a burning building. He quickly got up, tripping over his own feet as the burning embers of wood began to crack and crumble. He resumed his running, the aching pain in his body growing stronger.

He wanted to collapse. He wanted to sleep. He needed to protect his sister.

"I really got to hand it to you. You really are the most disgraceful scumbag. In all my life, I've never seen anyone as shameless or cowardly as you." He hissed, snickering. The box fell from his hands as his body finally gave into his exhaustion. As Gyutaro walked slowly towards the body, Tanjiro weakly threw bag of incense, appealing the demon and enforcing the idea of ​​​​how pathetic he really though he was. He lifted his leg into the boy's stomach, coughing up blood harshly.