Chapter 2

'I know everything was happen for a reason but sometimes I really wish I knew what the reason was.'

Grace's P.O.V

I've worked since I turned sixteen. I've worked my way through college and had to take a break from studies since my priority was to earn a living and take care of baby Lisa who was completely dependent on me. Then I struggled my way through different computer courses but that didn't help much since I could not get a job. I'm quite satisfied with my job since this doesn't require any work to be done from home or any preplanning. I did not know myself that someday I'd grow up to be so responsible. My only regret is that Mom isn't here to see my efforts but I'm sure she smiles and sends me her blessings from the heaven. I love you Mom.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Grace was not among those young women who would dress for the trends and show that they put way too much thought into a particular outfit and that they've been following fashion news like broker watching stocks, instead she dressed herself in black jeans and a casual blue top. She tied her thick black hair in a ponytail so she looked representable at work.

She worked in one of the most famous restaurants in town that catered to the high class of the society with males formally dressed in suits and ties and females in highly extravagant and expensive dresses with genuine accessories. Grace always wondered how on earth can there be such extreme differences that the people of the same planet seemed aliens to each other.

She did not need much, not the expensive clothes and jewelry, not the glamourous lifestyle, not the luxurious bedroom, not the high class parties. She wanted very little, a kind world, sincere words, fresh air, clean water, a garden, and books to read, a cozy bed and peacefully watch Lisa grow up with much love and care that she was herself deprived of.

Walking towards the restaurant I could hear the chirping of birds, rustling of leaves and cool breeze touched my cheeks, sending soothing sensations throughout my body. I felt refreshed... much better than before.

I saw a kid walking hand in hand with his mother a few steps ahead of me. He was wearing uniform and a school bag at his back. The boy listened intently as she instructed him about school rules and watched her with admiration in his eyes.

Memories of mom flashed back in my mind, when we also used to go to school like this. She always stayed by my side whenever I needed her help. She was like a best friend to me.

Lost in my flowing thoughts, I didn't notice that I was standing in front of the restaurant's main gate. Taking a heavy breathe in and letting it out slowly, I walked through the door. Watching me come in, Sarah rushed towards me. She is my best friend and works here with me.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Grace began taking orders with a forceful smile on her face but her mind wandered to those unintentional and unwanted thoughts.

She worked till lunch break and hurried to get Lisa from school. Every day she would try to make it as early as possible but still Lisa would be the last girl to walk out of school. Grace felt guilty but tried to make up for it by buying Lisa an ice cream on the way back.

'It's too late Darling.' Lisa smirked.

'It's never too late honey.' Grace replied and laughed as she could see irritates expressions on Lisa's face.

As they walked back home through the lonely streets Lisa was the only one that could be heard and she was talking at the top of her pitch telling Grace about a fight she had at school.

'It's okay honey. They're your friends and I'm sure they didn't mean to hurt you.'

'But I'm sure they did. They're not my friends any more. How could they get so rude to me... to anyone?'

'They might have not realise it then but they will realise it later and then they'll be good to you again just like before.'

'Just to let you know, they were never good to me but I was just okay with them since they were not as rude to me as today.'

'And what did they do previously? What did they say?'

'They're always like this to me. They taunt me about everything...'

'Like what? Tell me Lisa. What do they say?'

'Nothing. That's not important for now. I just need a bicycle Grace or else I'm not going to school. I've to participate in the race and show them that I too have a bicycle like them. And besides, I don't even know how to ride it. I'll have to practice.'

'Yeah okay honey. Don't worry. We'll see to it.'

Grace felt heavy in her heart. She knew that kids bullied Lisa but this was too much for her little sister to handle on her own. Labeling her as poor and unwanted girl did not only hurt Lisa but also pinched Grace at heart. She was struggling with her life at the moment. All her savings had been used up in renovating the house and furniture that was in a very shabby condition. She was now in a hand to mouth condition and in such circumstances it was difficult for her to get Lisa a bicycle. She really wished that Dad could be more reliable.

From Nightmare to Bliss. Copyright © June 2015. All Rights Reserved.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note:

To my readers,

You're now getting somewhat closer to Grace's life and her problems. But trust me there's so much more that will surprise you.

Okay now you know that she really misses her Mom and there's a point when you find out about what has happened to her mother. Can you guess what is that and where have I mentioned it? J

Can you suggest why did she wish her Dad to be more reliable and dependable?

What do you think is really happening? Let's see if anyone of you can come up with the right answer and predict what will happen next. 

'And there was a storm inside my own self... my fears had turned into demons that haunted my soul... they did not sleep even when I was asleep. I was fighting them every day, every minute but it was not helping... not now... not anymore.'

- Grace Garner from 'From Nightmare to Bliss'

Don't forget to vote and leave your comments for me as they really motivate me to upload the next chapter. :)

If you have any suggestions, feel free to write below and I'll try to take them into consideration. 

All the quotes are originally from 'From Nightmare to Bliss' coming up chapters. Please don't copy any of them without quoting the direct link. Piracy and plagiarism are both crimes.

Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events, or locales and even written material (if found any) is entirely coincidental.