Chapter 1

I grab my sister and Peter grabs the gun.
"What's that?" My sister, Amy, asks.
"Sirens. Zombies." Peter says, frowning.
Tears well up in her eyes and drop to her cheeks. I loved zombie movies and games, but I never expected a real apocalypse.
"It'll be fine," I say, reaching down to pick her up.
"We have to go," Peter says.
"But I don't know how to drive!" I sound embarrassed. Not like it matters.
"I have my permit and your Mom's keys," Peter holds a pair of keys up. "Good enough."
<•><•><•>
"Stay in the lane!" A man yells through his car window. "Forget the stop lights! GO!" Another woman yells.
"Shut up," Peter mumbles as he flips the bird. I groan.
"Is that really necessary?" I yell. The wind is so crazy that I can't even hear myself.
I wait for an answer.
"Whatever," I mumble under my breath. Until I hear moans.
"NOT WHATEVER!" I scream. "DRIVE!"
"Let's go," Peter says, grabbing the gun. I grab my sister's hand and we open the car door.
<•><•><•>
We run on the highway. Sirens roar, cars honk, and people yell.
"Get off." Peter kicks a woman off her motorcycle and jumps on. "Let's go!"
We drive in-between the lanes.
"Over there," I yell over the roaring winds. "A path."
Peter drifts to the side and goes down the path. Amy holds my hand, tears rolling down her cheeks every two seconds.
I pick Amy up and hold her in my arms. A man with armor and a shotgun holds the gun to my chest.
"Turn back," he demands. "Now. Or I'll fire."
"Listen," Peter says. "We're in danger. We need help and-"
Peter pauses at a gunshot and a scream. I fall and drop Amy on the grass.
"Help!" Amy screams over and over.
A bullet went straight through her chest. She falls limp and she stops breathing.