Chapter 2

Olivia

Madison continues to jump up and down at the door, waiting for her dad to come in.

Me on the other hand, I'm freaking out.

I glance back over to Caleb, who just gives me a sheepish smile. He specifically told me he didn't have a problem with me staying here but his friend might, aka her dad.

I hear the door knob turn before the door is being pushed open.

And I swear to all things holy.

A guy with jet black hair, decked out in all black walks into the foyer. He has a black bag slung over one shoulder and when he goes to take it off is when I notice a sleeve tattoo on his right arm. I won't deny it, he's hot.

"Daddy," Madison squeals, just as the guy drops down to a crouch in front of her.

She quickly wraps her little arms around his big frame. His muscled arms wrap around her in a gentle embrace. He exhales a deep breath, causing his shoulders to slump. He then scoops her up, placing her on his hip.

"Hi, sweetheart. How was your day" he speaks in his deep voice.

"Good. Daddy, daddy, meet my friend," she points over in my direction.

That's when piercing dark brown eyes meet mine. I'm just sort of frozen to the spot because his gaze is extremely intimidating.

"Hi," I say awkwardly, waving my hand.

When he doesn't wave or say hi back, I stop. Oh, this is not going good at all.

He looks over to Caleb who is now standing a few feet away from where I am.

Caleb clears his throat. "Um, she was stranded at the gas station and she's new in town. I- Madison- told her she could stay here," he blurts the last part quickly.

"Uncle Caleb said she could," she pouts up at her dad.

"You begged me to," he accuses her.

She shakes her head. "You didn't say no," she accuses right back.

Well, she has a point there because he's the adult in this situation.

If I wasn't nervous, I'd be laughing at how a grown man and a toddler are blaming each other as to why I'm here.

The guy takes a deep breath, his nostrils flaring. He turns to Madison, giving her a quick kiss on the forehead.

"Caleb, I would like a word with you," he says. He doesn't wait for a response and turns to head down the long hallway.

"Wait, can I stay with Livia?" Madison asks.

He glances at me looking me up and down. "No," is all he says.

After they disappear down the hall, Caleb finally turns to me. "We will be back in a moment," he struts off down the hall after them.

This would be a real good time to grab my bag and run out the door.

I stand in the middle of the living room for what seems like a good ten minutes, before I finally hear the sound of footsteps. All three of them appear back in the living room.