CHAPTER 5: Still There?

"And then she just went 'I'll see you boys later' and just left me there!" I explain Melissa's latest act of treason to Nate, but he isn't buying it.

"I don't know. From the sounds of it, she was just setting you up. Rest of the day go well?" Nate pauses his ordeal of gnawing through a day-old bagel to flutter his eyebrows towards me like he was trying to insinuate something.

"It was just a hangout. He probably didn't even think it was a date at all."

"Oh? And you did?" He shoots back.

"It's not like that! But things did get better the more we chatted. He wants to return to school soon, so he might even be part of our study groups."

"Wouldn't he be like a year or two behind?"

"For most classes, but there would be a couple overlaps." We continue to catch up before Trevor and Melissa show up to today's study session. It's our final one before our exams, so we're not trying too hard to burn our brains out, but we certainly aren't leaving things to chance. Nate and I arrived at the library early, and he is typically the only one to do so to set up questions and papers, but I happened to be in the area, and I wanted to talk to at least someone in person about my recent "hangout."

"Well, good on ya pal. At least you know he's gay." Nate says.

"Yeah, that's something. I still don't know if I'd be ready to try anything again." I wave to Trevor and Melissa, who I spot walking through the front entrance. Our usual spot was already taken, so we had to move to one closer to the windows. Nate isn't too fond of that because he thinks they cause distractions. Well, not like he's wrong.

"Can't we study outside? Look how nice it is out there!" Melissa points out the clear skies. Come to think of it, it's been a while since we've had a day dedicated to the sun. Not since the day I hung out with Max.

"We can't get distracted. Let's just stay focused on going through our general notes and making sure we're not missing things." Nate is quick to state.

"If you don't mind me asking, why do you always care so much about grades anyway? You seem like you could pass any course without even trying. Why go through the trouble of study groups?" Trevor asks.

I never really questioned that before. I think to myself.

Nate pauses for a bit and puts down his folder of notes. "My mom always wanted me to go to college. Not only that, but she also always wanted me to succeed and do great at it. Whatever I did didn't matter, as long as I 'got straight As and didn't get in trouble'. Growing up, it's always been like that, and I think the habits just stuck. It's not any trouble for me since it also gives me a chance to hang out with you guys."

For once, Nate is relaxed enough to make us smile. "And girls, of course." He gestures to Melissa.

"Can't fault you there. My folks were the same way back home. Still, I completely ignored their advice and went to the Air Force." Trevor assures him.

Nate laughs. "Yeah. Admittedly, it also doesn't help that she's been sick recently. Like, sick sick."

"Really? How is she now? You could always take a break and go see her. I'm sure the school would understand." Melissa is concerned.

"She's okay now. Plus, she's downstate in Oregon, so I visit her whenever I have a few days off. I just want to make sure she'll see-" Nate pauses, shaking his head to cut himself off. "She's doing fine. Are we ready to get started? Let's not kill the mood before we make it even worse reading this shit."

Life likes to time things in weird arrangements like each of us is tiny fragments of a greater picture that whoever or whatever looks over us plays with at their will, such as getting a call right when I'm supposed to read through an hour's worth of computer science.