CHAPTER 7: Embarrassment

"I still think it sounds like Star Wars music." I say while leaning against Max. Casually resting my head against his shoulders never gets old. If that isn't enough to make me want to nap, his room gets pretty dark in the late afternoon, thanks to the curtains. He also wants to show me a taste of his world through classical music vinyls.

"Everyone always says that! It's called 'Mars' from Holst's 'The Planets.' The whole song is about how Mars is the 'Bringer of War,' which is why the entire song sounds like an invasion because it is. Oh! There's this other artist, a more recent one, named Sleeping At Last who..."

He's so bright and creative about what he does. I love hearing Max go on and on about what he's passionate about. Even when most of it is correcting me about how songs sound.

"...and he also did an album based on Enneagram types. Have you heard of those before?" Max finishes, finally looking at me.

I kiss him on the nose. "You're too smart."

A big smile grows on his face. "You're too cute."

"Oh yeah? How cute?"

"Very..." My words trail off as my lips reach his.

And so begins another five or ten minutes of melting into each other's arms. It was another moment of me forgetting about the world, forgetting about the problems in my life, and experiencing nothing but him. We've been dating for about three months but never left the honeymoon phase.

The vinyl continues over to the next track. "Venus." says Max between kisses.

"You're such a nerd!" We both laugh.

The calm melody of horns and strings is just so peaceful. It was a soundtrack made for us to make the moments embracing in his bed more memorable. His hand brushing through my hair, I can forget my name in this moment.

Five more minutes of this, please.

"Max! Are you there?" his Pops calls out from the living room.

We both shoot up from his bed like the cops just busted in.

"Yes Pops! In here. Be out in a bit." Max calls out.

"When did my shirt get halfway off my torso?" I whisper to him.

"Nathan is here too by the way. I hope that's fine."

"Oh! Nathan! That's nice." His Pops replies.

We hear a couple of bags placed on the kitchen counter and the sink turning on. We take the opportunity to make ourselves look neat before leaving his room.

"Nathan! How are ya? How's the family?" his Pops asks me.

"Good, good. Actually, I'm going to see them soon."

"Oh really? They're coming to visit?"

"No, I'm going there for a week. I was putting it off for a while, but since my mom's birthday is coming up, I didn't want to pass on that."

"No doubt! Good man thinking of your mother. You have a ride to the airport? Know where to go?"

I forget how much of a family man Max's Pops is. Always so friendly and kind to others. "I have it all worked out Mr. Krupski. My friend Nate already planned to drive me."

"Bah!" Mr. Krupski says with a brushing gesture. "Just 'Pops' is fine. I'm not that old to be called a mister!" His laugh seemed to rattle the silverware a bit. "Well, why don't you grab a sub before you go? We're about to head to the shop now. Oh!" Pops turns to Max. "Speaking of which, remind me to bring the receipts back home tonight from the office. We're reaching the end of the fiscal quarter and wanna make sure things are good."