II

Beth loved theatre. Watching the actors as they bustled around the stage, getting into characters... It was her favourite sight. Mostly because they were wearing costumes made by her. However, this evening she hadn't had the time to enjoy the shining glitter on the dresses yet, because by the sweat of her brow she tried to sew up a hole in one of the skirts. It wouldn't be a big deal, but the sewing machine was jammed. Beth's hands were shaking slightly, when she was trying to fix it. She knew how to do it, it wasn't the problem, but hearing the actors' voices on stage were like a countdown to the moment when it would be too late. She couldn't let down over a thousand people in the audience, who were watching the Skin Game, a play of the decade. They were so unaware of how close she was to doing that. Finally! Needle started moving again. Beth's hands were cold from the sweat. She whipped the ready dress from the sewing machine, and she rushed through the hallway, her shoes hitting the marble floor with every step. Suddenly she bumped into something. She reached for that thing to prevent herself from falling. The 'something' let out a grunt of surprise.
"I am so sorry, sir" she apologized breathlessly. For some reason it sounded like a quiet squeak. Beth straightened up to look at the man. He also recognized her.
"Beth?" He remembered her name. That was unexpected, "What are you doing here?" her presence caught him off balance. Not only because he almost fell when she ran into him. "Working" she looked down at the dress in her hands, and without saying anything more, she rushed further into the hallway.
The door opened rapidly, when she ran into the wings, where a few actors were waiting for their part.
"What took you so long?" Beth heard one of the actresses' voice. It was Mary, the dress was for her. She approached Beth, droplets of sweat on her forehead. She was as nervous as a sewer, who helped her change quickly. In the theatre, especially in the middle of the show, there was no time for explanations and excuses. Next month all of that would be nothing more than a joke to both of them.
And when Mary's dress was almost buttoned-up all the way, they heard a bang. A shot. Everyone knew that sound. The audience twiched, while the actors froze and looked up at them, looking for the source of the sound. Everyone understood in a second that this was not the element of the play.
Beth was not sure what happened afterwards, all of it was so fast. She was finishing buttoning up the dress and then suddenly they all were backstage, whispering to eachother. Someone shot a man sitting in the loge. One shot in the head. Beth didn't want to know more. Not now, when the event just happened. Even though, she heard whispers about how the murderer was a man in a dark coat. Very useful information, considering that almost every man in London wore a dark coat.
She slung her back over her shoulder, wanting to go back home, feeling that terrible, nervous pain in her stomach. Theatre, a place, which gave peace to her soul, a place she loved more than anything in this world, was now filling up with police and the mystery of a murder. Beth loved theatre. She always thought that theatre loved her too. Every time she crossed the threshold, the real world was disappearing behind the door, leaving all suffering and pain invisible. Now the real world got to her.

She felt it, when she entered the dark street and reality hit her. In front of the building there was a crowd. A crowd of people who appeared here, seeking for sensation. The police was asking questions to people who were in the audience, hoping that they would find the murderer as soon as possible.
"Do people often die in the theatre?" Beth flinched, when a tall silhouette appeared next to her in the crowd. It was the same man she bumped into in the hallway. John. His name was John.
"Every night. But on stage, not the audience" she stopped to look at him "I'm sorry that you haven't had a chance to see the whole play, sir" she forced a smile. Now she realised that her hands were shaking slightly, half because of emotions, half because of how cold it already was.
"Let's skip the formalities, I'm John" they shook hands as if it was the first time they met.
"I remember," Beth nodded, and the cold wind caused them both to shiver. She looked into the blue eyes of the young man "You should come here next week. The Skin Game is a play of the decade for a reason" she tried to ignore all of the thoughts bothering her, trying to ruin her calm attire. She noticed hesitation on John's face "This time no one will die"
"Right" he nodded, giving her a charming smile, hiding his previous hesitation "I'll come if afterwards you show me what is backstage" John winked at Beth, which caused corners of her lips to twitch upwards, but she also rolled her eyes.
"See you next week, then" he took her hand, and brought it to his lips for a brief kiss, and then he disappeared in the crowd.