Chapter 08

LIORA

The bell above the coffee shop door jingles as I enter, the aroma of freshly ground coffee beans enveloping me. Zoey isn't around to make me my usual cup, so I decide to grab a coffee on my own.

As I take the coffee and thank the person, my eyes immediately land on Dexter Martinez, my boss, sitting at a table with a coffee in one hand and an iPad in the other. Typical Dexter, I think; always buried in work even during his coffee breaks. I take a deep breath, knowing that now is the best time to confess to him about the incident a few days back at the bar.

Approaching him, I barely notice the waiter in my path, and a collision sends me slipping toward Dexter, who is just standing up from his seat. Fate has other plans and the contents of the coffee I'm carrying splash all over him.

In a desperate attempt to save myself from a fall, I grab onto the nearest thing, which happens to be Dexter's hand, dragging him to the floor with me. He puts one of his hands back on my head and the other on the floor to avoid crushing me with his weight. To my shock, our lips meet in the chaos. Sparks fly, and for a moment, time seems to stand still. We stare into each other's eyes, both equally surprised by the unexpected turn of events, and the atmosphere crackles with undeniable tension. My heart races. Only one thought seems to be on my mind.

I am kissing Dexter Martinez!

Just as things are getting intense, Dexter's grandpa walks in, catching us in this compromising position. The spell is broken, and we quickly untangle ourselves. I feel a rush of embarrassment and awkwardness, realizing I have just kissed the CEO's grandson, and the CEO himself is witnessing it.

Unsure of how to face the situation, I remember the spilled coffee and immediately take a tissue from the nearest table, starting to wipe the coffee that spilled on Dexter's suit.

"I am so sorry. I was clumsy, I didn't notice the waiter, and we bumped-"

Before I can fully complete my sentence, Dexter's grandpa bluntly asks, "Are you both dating? Why didn't you tell me before? I wouldn't have set up a blind date for you today."

Dexter's body becomes tense beside me. My hand, which is still wiping Dexter's ruined suit, pauses. Alarm bells start ringing in my head. I am about to correct him when Dexter interjects, "We both are dating."

My eyes widen, confused by his sudden declaration.

Is this a joke?

I am left speechless. I am shocked, confused, and can't comprehend why he lied to his grandpa.

Dexter takes my hand, and my heart races as I try to comprehend the situation.

I feel speechless, caught in the middle of a lie that seems to be unfolding without my consent. I try to shake my hand off his hold, but Dexter's grip on my hand tightens, leaving me wondering what is wrong with him and why he has chosen to lie to his grandpa.