Episode 3: Friend or Foe?

I ran through the wet streets, the icy fog stinging my face. Was I fighting for my life? Or was I dreaming? I had to be dreaming right? Suddenly, I slipped, rolling across the soaked roads. The pain shot through my wrist like a pin through the thread. I pulled it against me making sounds of pain, trying to control it. "Finally you've given up." said the mystery man's voice as he walked towards my trembling body with his group. "Now we can lure that devil out" said another, grabbing my hair and dragging me away. I screamed out into the abyss but no one was coming to rescue me. It was a hopeless cry. Deep down I knew it but it was better than giving up and dying. I screamed out in pain feeling a hell-bent point stab through my leg. I tried to hold them back but the tears came flooding. "Pl-Please let me go.. I don't know what you're talking about!!" I yelled pleadingly. "Oh, he hasn't revealed himself even to you yet? Well we'll make that happen" he said ripping the knife out of me as I yelled out more and glared at him. I tried to look as intimidating as possible but in the end I just looked like a lost puppy. He went to stab me again but the knife flew out of his hand suddenly. I looked up confusingly to see a dark figure, standing just outside of the streetlight. "Let her go.." his voice was deeper than anything I ever heard and has a tint of anger. "Is it really him?" the man holding me in place questioned. Suddenly he went flying across the sidewalk and I fell to the ground, covering my head and ears and squeezing my eyes shut. I felt a hand on my shoulder and I slowly came out of my safe place. I saw an unfamiliar man, but something about him made me feel.. safe. "Are you okay, Cho-hee?" his voice was now warm and reassuring. It made me calm and feel safe.. "Wh-Who are you..? How do you know my name..?" I spoke with fear as he helped me up and held me as I still trembled. "Your secret protector".

"Secret protector..? What does that mean?" He smiles at me reassuringly. "Give me your hand first" I hesitantly held his hand. I suddenly felt the pain in my injuries melt away like magic. I looked at my leg and my wound was gone. "Let me take you home and I'll explain there" I nod and he brings me home.

"So who are you? What's a secret protector?" I said after I have washed up and put on my pajamas. My parents were out at a party again. "My name is  Yeonjun. I know this is gonna sound crazy to a human of your IQ level, but I am a demon. The reaso-" i interrupted him "Did you just call me dumb?" He looked at me speechless. "What" "You literally just called me dumb" I said, insulted. "You kinda are" I looked offended. "I will have you know that I have the best grades in all my classes!" "Yeah cause you're a nerd" I genuinely felt a bit sad and didn't say anything. He sighed. "I'm sorry.. I forget you're a really sensitive person.."

I sighed. "It's fine.. Just explain to me what a secret protector is..?" He nods with a warm smile. "When God makes humans struggle, he chooses some demons to guard the less fortunate of those humans. You've struggled a lot, I know that. I was assigned as your secret protector. My whole purpose is to protect you from being physically harmed and I'm not supposed to reveal myself unless I don't have a choice. In this case, I didn't. In order to heal you, I had to reveal myself." I looked at him. "Are you a psycho-stalker?" I started panicking. "That's how you knew my name!" He looked at me in disbelief. "I am not a psycho stalker!! How would I have healed your wounds and thrown a guy without even touching him if I wasn't a significant being?!" I skeptically looked at him. "Maybe it was all an acted out ploy to gain my attention.." He stared at me. "You are literally the most ignorant human I've ever come in contact with. You literally got stabbed!!" "Hm.. you make good points.." He looked annoyed. "OF COURSE I DO!!" He took a deep breath and calmed down. "So what happens now?" I say calmly. "You stay here and go to sleep and I will make you think this was alll a dream and I go back into hiding and keep secretly protecting you" He lead me towards the bed. "Oh no you don't!" I slipped from his grasp. "You do not get to trick me into that 😤" "Just go to sleep stubborn!" he groaned. "Never!" I yelled.

"You believe me now?" said the familiar voice I hoped to never hear again.