5

"don't worry scott. we can get it taken care of," i try consoling him.

"i ain't worrying. i'm pissed off."

"Look. I know it's inconvenient, but it's one old guy. We just needa find him before he gets to us."

"He knows where we are. He knows you're in LA. I doubt it's one person."

I'm still high as fuck, to high to deal with this shit. We were teenagers when this happened. Why is it coming back now? Right when life began looking up.

Scrim throws his phone onto the table, causing me and Ruby to jump as a long crack makes its way up his screen.

"We ain't safe here. He's got his people on our case" Scrim tells us.

"Can't we all put in some money and pay him? I have like $5,000 in my savings. It's 10k isn't it?" I try to make up a plan, but thinking feels like swimming against the current.

"Rae. You don't understand, Ari and I live together cuz we're broke. He said we have three weeks."

"Well I guess we'll have to do some dealing," I tell him with a shrug.

"Aren't nurses supposed to be against that shit? Y'all are trained against selling," Ruby finally chimes in.

"Gotta do whatchu gotta do, unless you have a better idea."

"Guess not," he walks from the room to go get some pills. Scrim is visibly stressed and nobody likes seeing that. His whole body is clenched. I put my arm on Scott's shoulder, trying to console him, but he shrugs it away. I feel a burning in my cheeks, and scoot away a little.

"It ain't you shawty. Don't trip," he mumbles nonchalantly.

Ruby comes back with a bag of pills, passing a few to Scrim, while his goes on a blank spot of the coffee table. He fumbles around for his credit card, then smashes the small pill and starts cutting it.

"Want one?" He asks me without looking up.

"Nah I don't do that shit anymore, thanks."

Ruby looks up, surprised, before bringing his nose down to the probably dusty table and taking the fat line of whatever narcotic.

I pull a preroll and lighter from my purse. I really should leave. I can't be around pills, especially not now. I don't want to leave though. Maybe I could just take a xan. I shouldn't. I don't really need it. Fuck. My mind is everywhere. I need to go outside right now.

"I needa go outside for a minute," I quickly tell them.

"Go through the back. Turn right down the hall and you'll find it," Ruby tells me with his head back.

The last think I see on my way out of the living room is Scott's concerned face.

Once I finally reach outside, I take a deep breath of sobering air. I find my way to a chair and tilt my face towards the warm sun, breathing some more before lighting my joint. Smoking is the only way I can successfully cope with being near pills. I'm not high enough to be around them at the moment. It's sad they couldn't get sober, I'm surprised they haven't overdosed yet, with how easily Scrim swallowed three pills.

I'm taking long drags from the joint, when I hear the door open. Someone sits next to me but I couldn't be bothered to see who it is. I'm trying not to fuck up my life right now.

I hear a deep raspy voice start speaking, "Yo. Ari and I are sorry if we made you uncomfortable. I know you don't fuck with pills  no more."

"No, I'm not uncomfortable, just don't wanna relapse."

"Proud of ya. I couldn't quit."

"Thank you Scott," I pass it to him.

We finish the joint, and he gives me a long hug. I missed this much more than I'm willing to admit.

"We need a plan," he whispers to me while still hugging.

"I know. We can figure it out later. Let's just stay here for a minute though," I whisper back.

"Good idea."