CHAPTER 3: Humans In Magic School

Luz, Sora, Eda, and King are on the shores, standing in front of something that really catches their attention.

Eda: Well, kids... did you ever in your life think you'd see something as breathtaking as this?

The thing they were staring at is revealed to be a giant creature of sorts—a dead one at that.

Luz/Sora: I don't like this.

Eda: Yes, it doesn't get much more inspiring than the trash slug. It makes a home, a life from what others have thrown by the wayside. Until, blam! It gets blasted by a wave one day and croaks from all the salt. And then we get to sell the stuff it ate.

She hands Luz a pickaxe, to which she responds in horror.

Luz: Please don't make me.

King: Aw, come on, Luz. It's not every day you get to go to the dump and pick apart a garbage carcass.

Eda: Ah, nuts to you all.

Eda then swings her pickaxe at the carcass to dig out the items it ate.

Luz: So, Eda...

*glass shatters*

Luz: What if we tried some new lessons for my apprenticeship? Like...

*glass shatters*

Luz: Read ancient scrolls or mix potions, or‐

Eda starts digging through the items.

Eda: Ugh. That sounds like a bunch of magic school stuff.

Luz walks towards Eda.

Luz: Wait. Is there a magic school here? Like winding towers, cute uniforms, dark plots that threaten your life kind of magic school?

Eda: Mm‐hmm. What's worse, they force you to learn magic the "proper" way. But magic isn't proper. It's wild and unpredictable. And that's why it's so beautiful. I didn't finish school, and look at me! Who wouldn't envy where I am right now?

Luz looks at Eda for a bit, then looks down in disappointment, while Sora looks at Eda with one eyebrow raised.

Eda: Uh... Hey, here's a lesson. A great witch is resourceful, like this.

Eda takes Luz's arm and swishes through some slime to fish something out.

Luz: Oh, hey. Greasy slime ball.

Eda: Use your slime ball wisely, young witch. Back at it! We'll hit the stink nodes first.

Luz: Actually, if it's okay, I think I'll head home and look at pictures of animals that are still alive. Love you, King.

King: *giggles*

Luz: You little beach peach.

King: *sigh*

Eda: Welp. It looks like it's just you and me, Sora.

Sora smiles nervously and slowly walks backward.

Sora: Yeah, I'll help from here. I'll use my wind magic to help clear the clutter.

Eda: Good idea. I'll give you the signal.

Eda goes through the clutter.

Eda: There we go. *grunting*

A trombone falls onto King.

King: Ow! This is awesome.

[Cut to Luz walking through the woods]

Luz, heading back to the Owl House, stares at the slime ball in her hand and starts to have doubts about Eda's style of teaching.