Prologue

Snapperwhisker's numb paws dragged through the icy stream. Her white and ginger fur plastered to her body and ice was sticking on her eyelashes. The cold wind nipped at the freezing nose and her eyes watered as the air blew at them. The sky was white with the blizzard that roared in the sky. Her vision was static withe the snow blowing around her. The tip of her tail just barely stuck out of the water as she swam through the ice. "I c-can't see a thing in t-this weather!" She shivered. "Do you see it?"
"Not yet. We have to keep looking," said Troutstar, eyes still pointed forward. Troutstar's huge paws plunged into the water as he swam. His grey striped fur, once full and fluffy, was long and drippy with the icy water. Snapperwhisker struggled to keep up with him. Troutstar was the strong, muscular leader of Riverclan and Snapperwhisker was his loyal deputy. Troutstar was known among the Riverclan she cats especially well. He never settled for one mate and just dabbled about the she cats, mating with whomever he pleased, consciously or not. Snapperwhisker knew a bit about that. The clan was suffering from a new, unknown disease this leaf-bare, and Pearlnose, the medicine cat had spoken with Starclan of a hidden herb that could cure it. Snapperwhisker panted as the rest of her body started to go numb.
"I think I see it!" Troutstar said, yelling over the whipping winds of the blizzard. Troutstar swam to a small iceberg in the stream, Snapperwhisker panting close behind. She dragged herself onto the floating thing and took huge, deep breaths. Troutstar snapped the herbs off the stem and started to get back in the stream, but Snapperwhisker hesitated.
"What's wrong?" Troutstar asked, hind paws floating in the frozen stream.
"I-I'm about to start kitting!" She panted. The last gathering was more of a celebration, since there had been a fire that spread through the whole forest. The medicine cats had brought catnip for the older cats to have a bit of fun with. The kits and apprentices went home early so that the older warriors could have a bit of fun. Nobody knew what they were doing, and Snapperwhisker liked to have fun. Troutstar was the nearest Tom cat she had pulled aside, and they had some time together. No cat remembers where they were or who they were with that night.
Troutstars eyes widened. He said nothing, only sat there and stared at Snapperwhisker. He helped her to a place in the middle of the iceberg and started pressing her belly. He felt her push again and again as she groaned. She kept contracting and moaning until finally she gave one big push. Out slid the kit in a sac. He broke the sac and started licking as Snapperwhisker pushed again. Another kit slid out. He passed one kit to Snapperwhisker. Neither were alive, as Troutstar had expected with this freezing weather. "Is that all of them?" Troutstar asked.
"No. I think there's one more. This one has already frozen." Snapperwhisker replied in a weak and shaky voice. Her stomach heaved as she kept pushing. She moaned in pain and gave one last big push. The last sac slid out, and Troutstar started licking and rubbing it as fast as he could to keep it alive. He licked and licked and prayed to Starclan that for Snapperwhisker's sake, it survived. After what he thought had been a whole moon, the kit started breathing and mewing weakly. Troutstar used his big paw to guide the blind newborn the it's mother's belly where it started suckling. "Are you ok Snapperwhisker?" Troutstar asked, looking over at her.
"Yes." She panted. "The surviving kit is a girl. What should we name it?" She asked weakly.
"How about Icykit?" Troutstar suggested. Troutstar was extremely nervous about the situation since he had never officially been mates with a she cat before. He quite enjoyed switching about. What would the clan do if they found out that he had mated with the deputy herself? He had so many she cats all over him! He didn't want that to end because he had kits with the deputy! What if Snapperwhisker wanted this to be forever? He didn't know what to do in the moment except comfort Snapperwhisker.
"Icykit. I like that." Snapperwhisker said, looking down at the kit who would soon become very important to Riverclan.