Chapter 4

***

"Bjorn," Karin looked into the man's office and smiled fawningly, "will you go to lunch?"

The man nodded and asked:

"Did the courier come?"

The secretary shrugged her shoulders.

"I told you I could send the correspondence myself," she reminded grumpily.

"Okay. Send it in the afternoon."

Bjorn got up from his chair, locked the top drawer of his desk, and followed the girl out of the office, thinking about where the damned guy had gone.

In the morning, this walking misunderstanding looked lousy. He might have been unwell from exhaustion, as he slept in the kitchen due to his good nature.

However, the man did not feel remorse for long, because he saw Toby in the cafeteria.

The guy sat in a corner so as not to draw attention to himself, but in fact his wild appearance only attracted the eyes of those around him.

"What do you want to eat?" Karin asked, heading toward the stalls with ready-to-eat food.

"Nothing. Have lunch without me. There's something I have to take care of."

Bjorn left the girl and went to Toby, who was sipping water despondently and staring tiredly straight ahead.

"Why are you in mourning?" the man asked, plopping down in the chair across from the guy. "Are you grieving your dismissal? The papers are ready, by the way. You know, disobeying your boss is no joke."

Herr Dalgaard's voice sounded so sudden that Toby jumped, spilling the water. And when the man spoke of dismissal, he choked on the water and coughed.

"Why?" he asked hoarsely, staring at the boss. "I didn't do anything wrong."

"You didn't come, and I was offended," answered Bjorn, smoothing his hair with his palm and glancing at the glass of water in the guy's hands.

Yesterday he was the only one drinking, then why is the guy thirsty?

"Why aren't you eating lunch? Are you on a diet?"

"I've already eaten," Toby shrugged off the question and added with a frown: "It's a sign of stupidity to fire an employee because of some grudge you have. I don't think you are. Though you are, I'm sorry to say, a lot of foolishness."

"And when did you have time to eat?" the man asked, deliberately ignoring the evaluation the guy gave him. "Are you saying you left the workplace early? Then all the more reason to fire you."

Toby scowled angrily, and Bjorn only shook his head reproachfully, remembering that Toby had almost no money. Only for his commute... And he had no parents to provide for him.

"Stay here." Ordered the man and stood up. "I'll be right back."

To give the guy credit, he tried to stop Bjorn. But if the man had a goal in mind, he went ahead like an armadillo, and he achieved his goal.

Today his plan was to feed the scrawny little man with the sad but very pretty eyes, and not even death could prevent him from this good intention.

He put two large plates on a tray and filled them with food, adding whatever he found appetizing. And, after ordering two cups of coffee, he headed to Toby's place with his booty.

The man was almost to the table when someone called out to him. He looked back and winked at the pretty saleswoman with whom he'd had a good time last weekend. And when the girl gestured to him to call him, Bjorn lost all his vigilance and tripped over a chair that suddenly appeared in his way.