Chapter 10

***

The man's words inspired Toby.

The world no longer seemed sullen and evil to the guy. On the contrary, all the colors shone so brightly that it hurt his eyes. And everything around him seemed to rejoice with him.

Even the perpetually frowning guard at the entrance smiled openly and affectionately. And the employees of the eighth floor behaved surprisingly friendly and friendly all day.

The working hours flew by almost imperceptibly.

Running errands, Toby was surprised to note that the sun had long since changed its position in the sky, and was now looking into the western windows of the office.

It wasn't long before the end of the workday.

He had to deliver a few more envelopes and he could go home.

After skimming through the letters, Toby found several bills addressed to Bjorn and decided to leave them in the man's office.

The spacious room with the gorgeous view of the city center was empty. And Toby, closing the door firmly behind him, went over to the desk.

Leaving the bills on the perfectly clean tabletop, the guy looked around, and his heart clenched treacherously with longing for the man he loved.

Everything in the room, from the neatly stacked papers on the shelves to the abstract paintings on the walls, reminded him of a man. But Toby was especially excited by the smell of expensive cologne. Quite elusive, light and almost imperceptible, he caressed the soul, causing a dreamy smile on the guy's lips.

Probably, Toby could have stood like this for several days. But a noise outside the door scared him off, and the guy hurried out of the office.

In the reception area he ran into the head of the advertising department and his deputy.

The men briefly greeted the courier and continued their conversation. But when Toby was already at the door, Herr Hansen stopped him.

"You worked in the archive, didn't you?" he asked, scanning Toby with his eyes.

The guy nodded, and the man smiled with satisfaction.

"Good. You're coming with us."

Herr Hansen turned to his deputy and, taking a folder from him, headed for the exit.

Toby had no choice but to follow the men, who, much to his surprise, were discussing Bjorn.

"Not only does this asshole no longer support our gatherings, but he also refuses to introduce us to his new girlfriend. Apparently, this lady had completely turned his head."

"Come on," the second man grinned, stopping in front of the elevator and pressing the button. "It's not the first time. I've known him since high school. He's been hitting on every hottie he meets, and every time he loses his head in passion. You'll see, in two weeks everything will be back to normal."

"You're wrong. There are rumors that Bjorn will return to Denmark with his fiancee. Mr. Larsen's daughter has had her eye on him for a long time. I'm sure they won't sign the contract without an engagement. And that's where the problems can begin."

"What other problems?" Herr Hansen's deputy was surprised.

"Oh, come on! Bjorn will be caught between two fires and might forget about the bar for a while. That's not going to make him easygoing. I even feel a bit sorry for him."

The men laughed and entered the elevator, and Toby slipped in after them.

He hardly listened to the men. Lost in his thoughts, the guy dreamed of an early meeting with Bjorn. But the last phrases of the company's employees made his heart treacherously shrink with fear.