Chapter 1

I've never been much of a people person, groups of people even less so. So you could imagine my disdain when I learned I would be placed in a team of 6 other people.

The halls of this building were huge, pristine white marbled floors illuminated each hallway. Modern art was placed in 10 foot intervals along the wall. A petite woman with red hair, clutched her clip board as if her life depended on it. She kept looking back in what I assumed was an attempt to check if I had run away yet.

I thought about it.

Everything in me told me that this set up was unnatural. I was going to hate this and would be better suited tormenting terrorists across the sea. Another option I wasn't particularly fond of but the lack of social skills made the option more appealing with every new person I met. Alas, this was my life now. A new journey. A reward even... that's how they looked at it. The higher-up. This to them was my reward for killing thousands of people for our country. This was... the next step towards retirement.

"Don't worry too much, dear. This team is made up of ex-weapons and beacons, so they will be a good match for you. I've placed careful consideration in deciding where you'd fit in the most. Team Helius is the top rated hero group in the country, but don't let that intimidate you."

I'm not intimidated... this is the look of indifference and personal suffering... I thought as she continued to speak.

"They are the best and everyone on this team is looking forward to meeting you."

The woman turned around and smiled, she dropped her clipboard giving you a chance to read her name tag, "Valerie". She had already introduced herself... 3 times but, truth be told, the name wasn't sticking and my brain was too frazzled to memorize it. She sucked her teeth, watching in silent judgment.

"This is good!" she feigned a smile, switching from passive aggressive to peppy. "Let's get too it?" She offered, knowing it wasn't optional. The small woman turns around, and pushes on one of the two matte black doors with long, golden handles. "Team! Our new member is here!" Valerie beams.

The room was large, lined with floor to ceiling windows that brought in so much light I felt the need to hiss. at the center of the room was a large U-shaped table with various people spread along it. My team mates I assumed. At the head was a soft looking blond man, to his right an even softer looking blond woman who looked almost identical, next to her was a woman of color with long black braids. To the mans left were two other men who looked to be gymbros, one with red hair, the other with long silver hair, and at the end of the table was a disinterested looking man with long dark hair.

"Fix your face, dear." Valerie whispered that I realized now had that stoic look of disgust.

A chuckle sounded from the tall woman with caramel colored skin. She adorned black and purple micro braids and an edgy undercut. She was decorated in ink and wore mostly black cyber tech clothes.

"This must be... Hysteria?" The woman beside her smiles. This woman was extremely fair, fair to the point that I imagined she had the most luxury brands of sunscreen on her bathroom counter to go with her soft girl cashmere sweaters and thin O shaped glasses. A long almost white-blond braid lay neatly over her shoulder.

"Obviously." The previous woman interjected. "Don't you remember that post-weapon look we all had." She smirks. "She looks like she might throw up."

"Nikumo. Be polite." Valerie scolds.

"I am beyond polite okay? I'm just stating facts, and not in a malicious way." Nikumo raises her hands to show surrender.

"Okay." Valerie sighs, obviously not interested in pressing anything with the hero. "Everyone this is Suki, hero name... Hysteria? Are we sticking Hysteria? I'm not sure the marketing team will be okay with that."