Chapter 3

I managed to make way back to the board room with Kai, his comfort being the main reason why I was able to even contemplate doing so. My heart was ready to explode from the apprehension but, I moved one foot in front of the other anyway.

"If you need help just take my hand and let me do the rest, okay? Just don't pull away like last time or I could accidentally cut you again." Kai had stopped just outside the doors of the bustling room. I nod, hoping that it wouldn't come to that. "Just take it a step at a time, and try to ignore the vultures as much as possible, Helius and I will be with you the entire time, okay? That's why we're here so let us help."

Again I nod. Eyes wide.

He opens the door and everyone seemed frozen, waiting. Together we cross the large room only stopping when Kai pulls my chair out.

"We ready?" Valerie asks, clearly frustrated. Kai nods as I take my seat and her demeanor changes. "Great!"

In one fell swoop several people charged to take measurements.

"I know we are all busy but, let's take a moment to remember that Suki is a person." Helius interjects making the horde pause. "She fought valiantly for our country for a decade and deserves some respect and understanding."

My eyes meet those of my leaders, his bright gold eyes smiling back at me. I realize now why he came and what his true purpose in this meeting was. Members of the design crew nodded, and took steps back, taking turns rather than rushing.

The meeting went fairly well after this, between Helius monitoring the crew and Kai talking random nonsense, I was distracted enough to not get overwhelmed.

"Okay! So we have a few designs ready, now that measurements are done with, we can just... sit and chat." One person, the head of the team I assumed, spoke.
"Here are a few ideas we've come up with."

Beneath the table I take the leap and reach for Kai's hand, a small surge of joy and sense of accomplishment surges through me from him and I can't help but smile from it. In such a short time, he had managed to break down a few inches of the tremendous wall I had placed to protect myself and I could tell that he was sensing the same thing even without the emotional exchange. His fingers curled between mine, smooth tendrils stretch down the back of my hand and around my wrist. This time it wasn't a shock, the punctures didn't even hurt and all I felt was the wave of relaxation as the neurotoxin sank into my body.

What a handy power.

Kai's hand was warm but his grip was soft. A nice distraction as the crowds dispersed and now all I had to deal with was the five people in front of me, passing out quick sketches of uniforms.

As if in sync, Kai, Helius and I leaned forwards, looking at the sketches before us.

"Wow, you guys did these in less than thirty minutes?" I ask, appreciating the talent.

"We hire nothing but the best here." Valerie smiles, her pride beaming from across the room.

"She's darling. Yes, we have a handful of artists who are all very capable and talented when it comes to on the scene design mock-ups." A slender man smiled.

Another woman spoke next, small, brunette, with big almond eyes and a very pink complexion. "For your design I wanted to really lean into that Nightmare power of yours, considering you... anxious demeanor, I thought it be best to go more on the conservative side," She explained. "This concept will give you a cape that would have a dark blue tone to it, Your suit would be made of military grade fabrics, that would prevent injury-"

"All of these costumes are designed to be durable." The man interjected.

"Right, however this gives you a full body suit."