Glimpse of Us

I looked at myself in the mirror trying to breathe, it was the first time I would sing the song, her song, and although I knew it was likely that I would not hear it and it would never come back, showing it to the world was a necessity.

She'd take the world off my shoulders
If it was ever hard to move She'd turn the rain to a rainbow
When I was living in the blue
Why then, if she is so perfect
Do I still wish that it was you?

She tried everything to make me forget you, she supported me, she made me laugh, she loved me, but I could never reciprocate, everything paled in comparison to you. She was missing the fiery hair, the sweet and honest smile, the sweet caresses and looks that were just for me. And I tried, really, but it only took a couple of months for her to leave, for me nothing changed, she was perfect, she only had one flaw, she's not you.

Perfect don't mean that it's working
So what can I do? (Ooh)
When you're out of sight
In my mind

"Colin... it's time."

I take one last breath and head to where my team is waiting to get started. I can't help but think about the last time we saw each other, both tired of the distance, the tours, the projects, the family, the friends, us... everything exploded for some reason out of nothing, bringing out all that frustration we had after long months apart .

At first my pride and the tour did not allow me to look for you, you were no better, we avoided each other as much as we could, and so time began to pass until it seemed that we were strangers. Then she came into my life and I tried to show myself that I could forget you, but every time I looked into her eyes, all I did was try to look for yours.

'Cause sometimes I look in her eyes
And that's where I find a glimpse of us
And I try to fall for her touch
But I'm thinking of the way it was
Said I'm fine and said I moved on
I'm only here passing time in her arms
Hoping I'll find
A glimpse of us

You found someone too, I didn't think something could hurt me so much, but you had the right to do it. Did you also feel the same? Did you see something of us in you? I know it's not fair to try to know, but the selfish part of me needed to know.

Thinking that your smiles belonged to him made me feel lost, knowing he was your present and I was your past were thoughts that I could barely tolerate, the only thing that kept me hopeful was that maybe, someday, you would look for me in him like I did.

Tell me he savors your glory
Does he laugh the way I did?
Is this a part of your story?
One that I had never lived
Maybe one day you'll feel lonely
And in his eyes, you'll get a glimpse

I smiled at my band, my family was there too, all applauding and supporting me, I was home. I said a few words and we said a prayer asking that the night be a success, giving thanks for the goodness that I had around me, and in my heart I prayed that you would hear my words, I prayed that they would reach your heart.

I took the microphone and before preparing my entrance, Eloise took my hand, giving me a squeeze and smiling at me, she knew the importance of that night.

I looked ahead and as I left I could feel the energy of the people shouting my name.

Maybe you'll start slipping slowly
And find me again
When you're out of sight
In my mind

Song after song my energy was focused on giving the best show, I jumped, I screamed, I danced, I gave it my all, until the moment came. The lights went out, I went to drink some water, I could feel the anxiety and nerves taking over me.

I walked to the yellow grand piano that was in the center of the stage.

"This song is special, it's the first time I sing it in public" people went crazy for a moment "Never let your special person go, or you will never stop looking for a look at what was."

I sat down at the piano and began to play and sing, each word came out of me with a pure and sincere feeling, the quiet audience just listened, I reached the chorus, with her face in my mind.

'Cause sometimes I look in her eyes
And that's where I find a glimpse of us
And I try to fall for her touch
But I'm thinking of the way it was
Said I'm fine and said I moved on
I'm only here passing time in her arms
Hoping I'll find
A glimpse of us

I opened my eyes for a moment and saw her, my need for her and the song made me start to hallucinate. My singing was sincere and emotional, a couple of tears ran down my face as I sang about how I saw her everywhere, how I saw us everywhere.

The last notes of the song arrived and after a moment of silence the audience exploded with applause and shouts. I planted my smile again and finished the concert that had been a success.

I returned to my dressing room and prepared to leave. My family invited me to spend time with them, but I told them I was tired; They understood and let me go, promising that we would meet tomorrow.

I got into the truck that would take me to my destination, I could see the streets with that amber light, I traveled that familiar path until I arrived at my house. I got out of the truck, thanking the driver, and walked heavily up the stairs. It was the same place where she and I were happy, but that night it was especially difficult for me to be there. Standing in front of the door for a moment, I hesitated.

Ooh, ooh-ooh
Ooh, ooh-oohOoh, ooh, ooh
'Cause sometimes I look in her eyes
And that's where I find a glimpse of us
And I try to fall for her touch
But I'm thinking of the way it was
Said I'm fine and said I moved on
I'm only here passing time in her arms

I took the keys and opened the door slowly, I took off my jacket and when I turned on the light, for a moment I thought I had gone crazy. Standing in front of me there she was, I closed my eyes and rubbed them thinking I was hallucinating, but when I opened them again she was still there.

"Penelope..."
"I heard your song..."
"You were there..." I whispered.
"Yes," she responded a little shyly, "remember what we were is not enough, it's not enough anymore."

I could only walk up to her, hold her in my arms and kiss her with all the love I had saved for her while she responded in kind. I knew we had to talk, but at that moment I could only feel the nostalgia disappearing from my body.

I wouldn't look for her again, because now she was back in my arms.

Hoping I'll find
A glimpse of us.