Bad Cravings

I'm biting my thumb, waiting in front of the animal shelter for Bennie. Snow is falling around me and there are city workers putting up Christmas lights on the light posts. I love this time of year. I love the cold, the lights, all of it. Time for friends and family to be together. Yummy food.

However, my apartment is quiet and echoey without my friends there and they can't be there all the time. That's why I'm in front of the NYC Animal shelter...to find a roommate. And I'm nervous. I've never owned an animal by myself before. My mum has had cats so I'm used to that, but is that what I want? Or do I want a dog? Ugh, I don't know! I just want something to keep me company. I know, I sound pathetic.

A hamster would be cool, too. Especially in one of those balls.

A yellow taxi appears and I see the redheaded omega step out, bundled up in a knee length puffy coat and a scarf wrapped around his neck. I run over and help him out of the car, grabbing him by his gloved hands.

"About damn time, I thought you stood me up," I chuckle, shutting his door.

"Come on Harry you know how it is during the first snowfall. Everyone forgets how to drive."

I smile, opening and holding the door open to the shelter for him. The door chimes above us and we are welcomed in a warm building, painted with paw prints.

A beta girl is sitting at the front desk, typing on the computer. She grins when she sees us walk in, standing up at the counter.

"Hiya guys, what can I do you for today?"

"Um, I'm looking to adopt a pet. I'm not really sure what yet, though." I look around, it's pretty quiet for it being a shelter. I thought there would be a lot of barking.

"Oh how fun! We currently have puppies, dogs, cats, kittens, and a few birds!" She talks excitedly, her blonde ponytail bouncing at every word. Well, there goes my hamster idea. "What is your living situation like?"

"I'm in a three bedroom apartment, I've lived there for a few years now. It's just me so, like, plenty of room. It's on the sixth floor."

"Dang, that must be expensive! Hm," she wonders, tapping her chin. "Do you have any spots for a dog to use the bathroom outside?"

"There is some grass in the front and across the street there's a huge park," Bennie says, looking up at me and smiling.

"Oh, perfect! So it sounds like you have options! Here, just sign in first and then you both can follow me and we will go start in the feline room!"

We write our names quickly, following her down a long skinny hallway. There's windows that take up most of the hallway and there's a bunch of cat towers in one room and cages in the other. She opens the door, inviting us inside.

She holds her hand out. "Alyssa."

I smile, shaking hers gently. "Harry."

I watch as some cats run around, some making murder muffins. One is even laying on a shelf on the wall. Ugh, I fucking love cats.

"There are toys on the table over there if you want to try to play with some of them! Most of them are playful but some are just big cuddles."

I watch Bennie grab a feather wand, walking over to a group of orange tabby cats and bouncing the wand up and down. It's actually pretty cute how they all are trying to climb each other trying to grab it. He is laughing, making them jump up and him.

I look around, trying to see if I can feel some sort of pulling towards one. It's kinda overwhelming but in the best ways. I really would love a cuddley one.