ii

NOW PLAYING...
PANIC by YONAKA

So you had a great-something-grandmother that people thought died as a baby but didn't

So you had a great-something-grandmother that people thought died as a baby but didn't. Great. Cool. Whatever. Now what?

Well, you looked in the mirror in your bedroom that next morning. You summoned your Stand, "PANIC." The woman made of brown fur that moved like a meadow in the wind emerged. You looked at your hands, your fingers turning hard into claws. You used them to brush your hair.

There was a knock on the door. You turned around and your mother opened the door. "It's so dark in here. Turn on a light, would ya?" You didn't answer. She sat on your bed. "Listen, what Michael said... Your, uh, Stand... Did you always have it?"

"No." You turned back around to your vanity. "I got it ten years ago. I just... woke up and there she was." You stopped and stared at the claws. You turned around and then looked up at your mother. "Can you... see these?" You gestured your hand toward her.

She leaned closer, but ultimately shook her head. "No, I don't. What am I supposed to be looking at?"

"Never mind. Um..." You looked around. On your vanity, there was a pair of gloves. You put them on, this time the leather turning solid instead of just your fingers. "What about now?"

"Is that your ability?"

"I guess so."

"Then, I can see it."

You shoved the gloves into your schoolbag then stood up, retracting both your Stand and the claws. "But can you see PANIC herself?"

"It's a woman? No, I can't. Could you describe her to me?"

You inhaled. "Well... She's made out of brown fur and it moves like a meadow does on a windy day... She has a ponytail, too. Same texture as my hair but still fur. Her eyes are a bleached yellow... Those are her only facial features." You cleared your throat, feeling weird staring at your Stand as she just floated still beside you. "You know those panic buttons that are under the tables in banks that call the police? She has one 'screwed' into her chest but it doesn't do anything. There's also a ribbon with one end tied around her neck and the other is tied around her waist. It just kind of floats."

"Like that Chang'e portrait I got in China?"

"Yeah, I guess if that's the only thing you can think of." You sat next to her to put on your socks.

She put her hand on your shoulder. When you looked up, she smiled. "My daughter... someone so special."

"Tsh." You stood. "Asuka's the one with the important job." You picked up your guitar before opening your door. "Love you, Mom."

You walked down the hall and to the living room. You passed by the older (Y/N), already awake and watching television. You heard Michael listening to the radio and humming along as he made breakfast for him and her.