F i f t e e n

The first real fight broke out right after the canoe race that Friday. It had all been going relatively well, Luna thought - the day was sunny and warm, no trace of lightning or rain whatsoever, meaning that maybe whatever Percy and his friends were doing on their quest was working.

The night before, they'd all written their names on a piece of paper and thrown them in a bowl in order to decide who would participate. In the end, Clarisse had extracted herself, Luna, Sherman and Edward. Shae and Maeve had turned their noses up at that, but fair was fair - only four of them would fit into the canoe that represented the Ares cabin.

So the next morning the mood had been a good one - all their activities throughout the day had progressed nicely, and then it was time for the race. Luna was practically vibrating with excitement as the four of them carried their canoe to the lake, next to where the other teams had also placed theirs. Clarisse, who was next to her, wasn't acting much differently. However, she did look more keen on winning and, you know, generally beating others, but that's La Rue for you.

"What if one of us falls out?" Luna asked as they climbed in the canoe. Clarisse had stationed herself at the very front -of course- and after her came Sherman, Luna, and lastly Edward.

"You'll have a nice shower then," Sherman answered cheerfully. He grabbed one of the paddles and Luna had to duck quickly in order not to get wacked across the face and fall into the water before the race began.

"Hilarious," She deadpanned. "I meant what's the protocol,"

"We just paddle on, that's what," Clarisse interceded in her no - nonsense tone. "You can't expect us to stop. We'd loose."

"And Gods forbid that," Luna teased. "How would you ever recover?"

"She wouldn't," Edward snorted. "That's why, like Sherman said, if you do happen to fall out, be prepared to experience an early shower - because we're not waiting for you."

She rolled her eyes. "You guys are a bunch of sweethearts. Have I ever told you that?"

Clarisse looked back over her shoulder and smirked. "If you want sweethearts, maybe you should invest in some quality time with the Aphrodite kids."

"Maybe I sh-"

Chiron's voice interrupted hers before she could finish. "Campers! You all know the rules - two full rows across the lake, and whoever comes first wins. I will allow no maiming and no weapon use of any kind, but you will be able to push people off. On my mark, the race will start."

Luna gripped her paddle, her heart thudding in her throat.

"3...2...1 Go!"

They were moving instantly. She watched as the paddle cut through the clear water with ease, and couldn't believe how fast they were rowing. It was a combined effort, but she knew that the Ares kids were the ones contributing the most; because of their strength, they were way ahead of the others. She could hear one of the Athena kids behind them, shouting orders to their siblings, urging them to go faster.

However, by the beginning of the second row, Luna was starting to tire out. Her forehead and hands were slick with sweat, which was the reason why she'd almost dropped her paddle three times now. Her muscles were aching from keeping up with the Ares kids, who were all in perfect synch and were keeping a brutal pace.

She cast a look behind her and was horrified to see that the Athena kids were catching up to them. She grit her teeth and kept on paddling even though her muscles were rubber by now, refusing to loose. Somehow, they cought up to them anyway.

"Shit," Clarisse muttered as she watched their two canoes align.

"You're not winning this one either, La Rue," Said the guy at the front with a self assured grin as he came face to face with her- he was probably substituting for Annabeth as leader until she got back. Luna grimaced at what he said and what it would do - she knew he meant the last capture the flag game and how they'd lost it. She also knew that Clarisse would blow up at the mention of it.