Part 3 - The Ex

"Yeah, Mum, he's a yautja."

Ava sat at a table with her hot coffee and sandwich. She neatly set her parka on the back of the chair before taking a much-needed sip. It melted the chill in her body, allowing her to relax some.

"One o' them? That's...a choice," Her Mum replied with shock.

She rolled her eyes, "Yeah, Mum."

"Is he nice? Do ya get along?"

Even though her Mum wasn't entirely on board with her dating an alien, Ava found she didn't care. Hakea was exciting, plus the sex was fantastic. They had things in common, and she was never bored in his presence. The yautja was handsome and tremendously skilled in bed, as well as a skilled cook. There wasn't anything that she didn't like about him.

"We work well together, and he's charming. Plus, all the rumors about their stamina are true, Mum. You should try it sometime," she snickered, taking a bite of her Monte Cristo sandwich.

"Not my cup of tea," her Mum declared with absolute certainty.

Ava smiled, amused that her Mum couldn't even entertain dating one. Having a yautja for a boyfriend had been better than she ever thought. She worried about the future and whether he would be in it, but she was happy to shove those fears aside and enjoy the now.

"Hey, Mum, I gotta go. I have a lot to do today," Ava said with a mouthful of sandwich. She swallowed, "I'll talk to you later, okay?"

"Alright, Ava. But, you better bring that alien man of yours over to meet me. I want to see what all o' the fuss is about. I love you." Her Mum replied with soft laughter.

She chuckled in return, "Bye, Mum. Love you, too."

A while later, as Ava left the small cafe, she stopped to huddle in her parka and savor the remnants of the restaurant's warmth. It was warmer than it had been in the months since Ava began seeing Hakea regularly, but it was still chilly enough for her light parka.

She wanted to be with Hakea, snuggled against his warm, toasty body. He was like a living heater! Ava had spent many nights cocooned with his natural warmth. Even when she was naked atop him, she still didn't feel the chill of the air. There was something magical and unearthly about it.

Yet, there was still that kernel of doubt that told her she was a passing fancy for him, a dalliance waiting to get bored of. She hated to think about what would happen when that day arrived. What she'd feel when it ended, and Ava had to return to dating boring human men.

Compared to a Yautja like Hakea, there wasn't anything that drew her eye.

"Ava, I'm surprised to see you here."

Her heart clenched at the familiar baritone voice that spoke a few steps away. She returned to the present to see Luke standing there, a woman at his side.

"Luke..." Ava breathed at the sight of the mildly attractive dark-haired man.

He stood there with a stupid smirk on his face. The woman beside him eyed Ava repeatedly like she was yesterday's rubbish. Her emotions were stormy as she took in the blonde woman wrapped around Luke's arm like a creeping vine. It didn't take much thought to figure out she was his new woman. Pain laced through her chest as she pieces together the pieces of the puzzle.

"Wow, you still look as dull as you did last time I saw you," Luke chuckled, closing the distance between them quickly. "I heard you're seeing a yautja. That's an odd choice from you. You always go for...the guys who are literally from this world. Not...ugly, murderous aliens."

The woman beside him laughed, her dark eyes sparkling with wicked emotions. "You were right about her. She's such a downgrade, Luke."

Luke grinned and introduced her as Michelle—his new fiancé.