Happily Ever After

AN: Oh my goodness hello there! I'm as surprised by this update as you. I have been away from writing for years at this point and so I am incredibly rusty. But after getting inspiration for a post season 5 Mileven moment, I couldn't help myself.

Hopefully this can become a more recurrent thing, because even though I felt shaky writing, it was also SO GOOD to be back in this amazing universe.

Enjoy some much needed Mileven fluff!

...

It was the 25th of July 1987. A day that didn't stand out as anything special to most people. To Hopper it was the day that Joyce would finally become his wife. To Joyce it was the day their families merged. To Max it was the first time that she got to dance again. To Lucas it was the first time he cried in public, watching the fiery red head move her body and feel the music like she never had before.

To Will it represented a new chapter in his life. To Dustin it was the first time he got to drive his own car, whilst Steve screamed he was going too fast.

To Mike it was the day that showed him the future he so desperately wanted. And to El, it was everything.

Despite Joyce not wanting a fuss, it had been a beautiful wedding. The Hoppers had got married right by Lovers Lake. The breeze from the water on the hot summer's day rippled through El's shoulder length curls as she walked down the makeshift aisle, a bunch of wildflowers clasped in her hands.

Mike would never forget watching her, his eyes tender and wide as his mouth parted in surprise. Just when he had thought it was not possible to love her more, El had a way of surprising him. She looked shy, nervous that she may trip or do the wrong thing. She looked apprehensive and excited for what she was about to witness. Her pale blue dress moved delicately in the breeze, taking Mike back to seeing El walk into the Snow Ball. He had been astonished by her beauty then, and now he had to hold back the tears knowing that this was only the beginning. One day he would watch her walk down an aisle, in a white dress, those beautiful eyes full of excitement and nerves as she looked at him, waiting for her.

If it was from the humidity or the sheer pounding in Mike's heart, he could feel electricity in the air. And the sense of anticipation in the atmosphere didn't leave him as he watched Joyce and Hopper exchange their vows, a softness appearing in the Chief's gaze that Mike had never noticed before. He knew that emotion, it was the overwhelming feeling of staring into the eyes of someone you loved.

When Joyce and Hopper were pronounced husband and wife, Mike had joined the hoard of guests congratulating the happy couple. His eyes were on El who he felt the pull to be near, but they merely were able to exchange a tender smile before she was whisked away for family photos. Mike was patient for once in his life, he knew they had forever to talk, to touch, to kiss, to be together.

The afternoon passed in a whirlwind of laughter, speeches, toasts, and mountains of spaghetti. Mike could feel his mother's eyes on him as he tried to stay clean, eating as carefully as possible, listening to the chatter of the people around him.

"I can do it myself," Max had said in slight exasperation whilst Lucas offered to butter the warm bread roll that had just been placed on her side dish by a harassed looking waitress.

"I know!" Lucas had replied in a rush, his tone slightly panicked. "I didn't mean to offend you, I just wanted to help..."

Mike watched on as Max let out a soft sigh, clearly deciding not to be angry at Lucas and handing him her bread roll. She was partially sighted now and whilst she surprised them everyday with what she could do, it was always hard not to offend her. Mike thought Max showed such bravery every single day, especially with how determined she was not to let the wounds of Vecna affect her future.