Opticians?: Day 232

Seventeenth of March, two thousand and nine.

I was going to Specsavers today for a long needed eye test.

"You ready?" Paul asked when he saw me coming down the stairs. I nodded and followed him out. The other week, he said he applied for a job and was accepted. The thing was ... he wouldn't tell me what his job was. Git. We got down to the reception and greeted the receptionist as we went.

Getting in the car, we listened to the bad music playing from the radio. "What's gonna happen?" I asked somewhat nervously as Paul drove through the town, trying to find a car park.

"You'll have to look into this thing and you'll see something like a balloon. That'll happen for both of your eyes. Then you'll see a different optician and then you'll have to say what you can see on the board." Paul explained. Slight relief dimmed my nerves and I breathed out slowly, nodding albeit more to myself than to Paul. "Don't worry," Paul said, taking a hold of my hand and squeezing it briefly before turning back to the road. "It won't hurt."

"OK," I mumbled, turning my head and looking out the window, seeing the city flashing past in a grey-blue blur.

We got to a car park and he found an empty spot, which he parked us in. After getting out, he took my hand and led me down the path and to the elevators. I'd never been so embarrassed in my entire life. Someone (Paul) decided it was a good idea to say dick jokes. In all honesty, that was the hilarious part, mainly because he was actually telling me the jokes, and partly because I understood what he was saying. It became awkward because as he was telling one really funny one, an elderly couple came in ... I was red from embarrassment and awkwardness.

So, when it was our floor to get off, I literally ran out of the elevator and around the corner, hearing Paul laughing behind me. "What on earth possessed you to do that?" I asked him when he finally caught up to me.

"I honestly do not know," he said, but I was pretty sure he was lying.

"Sure," I sighed, rolling my eyes at him as we started walking through a shopping centre that was connected to the car park.

We went through the exit of the shopping centre and went through the crowds. I gripped onto Paul's hand tightly as he navigated us through the crowd, probably knowing where the opticians was. Once we got to it, we went in and to my surprise, instead of going to the reception visible, we went down a flight of stairs, where there was another reception. Paul signed us in, and we waited on the uncomfortable wooden chairs.

Next to me was a teenager. She had long fiery ginger hair that went down her back. She had freckles covering her face and was a healthy skinny. Next to her I probably looked anorexic. She had one earphone in and was reading a comic called The Walking Dead. I peaked over and saw red literally covering the paper. It looked pretty cool.

A female voice called a name and she looked up. To my surprise, she had two different coloured eyes: green and grey. I saw what I'd be doing - sitting on a chair and looking into a machine thing. I looked over at Paul and he smiled at me.

"After that, a different person will come and take you and put some weird glasses on you in one of them rooms to see the strength of your eyes," he told me and I nodded, slouching in the chair and waited. It took fifteen minutes, and half of the time, people who came in after us went before us.

"Jesse Sykes," the same female voice called. I looked up and saw a blonde woman beckoning me to the same machine the ginger girl had gone to. "Just sit on this and put your chin on this rest," she said and I did, I looked in the machine thing when it came up to my eye and I saw a hot air balloon, coming in and out of focus. "Now the other eye," she said and it went to my other eye and I saw the same thing. "OK, I'll give these files to Dr. Druidz and he shall see to you shortly. If you can go back to your seat." the woman said and I nodded, getting up and walking back to sit next to Paul.

Thankfully, it was only three minutes later and Dr. Druidz came and asked for me. Paul and I stood up and he led us to a different room which was relatively small. "Why don't you sit in that chair, Miss?" Druidz asked, pointing to a chair with some weird heavy looking equipment above it. I sat in it, throwing Paul a cautious look and he grinned at me.

Druidz began to ask if any medical problems had occurred and why I needed glasses. I answered most of the questions, swinging my legs slightly from nerves, a habit I noticed I did when it came to talking to adults. He came over and pulled down the heavy looking object in front of my face, to which I could look through as if they were weird glasses.

"OK, now I'm going to out different strengths on and you have to tell me which ones are more powerful and helps you see clearer," he told me. I hummed my agreement. I did as the guy wanted and pretty soon, we were done. "Just go upstairs and pick out your glasses and we can get them fitted and you can get them by next week." Druidz told us, and we nodded, getting up and leaving the room and handing the paper to a woman at the desk. 

We went back up the stairs and messed around a little on finding the type of glasses that'd suit me. Eventually we found some that were nice and asked a woman to sort it out. And she did. She got them to fit my head perfectly, and told us we'd be able to get them by the end of next week, but they'd phone us on the day.

"So ... how was it?" Paul asked as he took a hold of my hand and led me to Thornton's to get some toffee.

"It was OK. A bit weird, I guess," I shrugged, thinking back to the weird glasses, which had actually made my eyes become more magnified than their own size ... which Paul thought was hilarious. I had needed glasses for most of my life, apparently, and needed them for most of the activities I did.

"Yeah," Paul sighed as he paid for the toffee. Eventually, we made it back to the car, jamming out to rock songs and singing along, eating so much toffee it hurt our jaws. When we got home, I began to message Toby, having literally nothing to do apart from munch on toffee. I sat in the love seat, curling up and got my MP3 player and stuck an earphone in, listening to Avenue.

To Tobster:
Sup, bitch?

From Tobster:
The sky obviously.

To Tobster:
Laughing my FUCKING ass off.

"Who you texting? Ya boyfriend?" Paul teased.

"Well, I've only got one friend, so yeah," I said. He turned around to me and mock-glared. "Hey, you asked. Toby's a friend, who's a boy. So a boy friend," I said, smirking.

"OK, shaddup," he muttered, sitting down on the sofa, turning on the TV to catch up on Emmerdale. Seriously? That stuff was so shit.

From Tobster:
Ha, you kid. So, what we doing tomorrow?

To Tobster:
I dunno. Park? To the after school art shit? IDK ... YouTube?

From Tobster:
Have I ever said I love you?

To Tobster:
No, and don't start now. Seriously my dad will kill you. *deletes message*

From Tobster:
OK. I am scared of your dad so I'm just gonna leave. Bye

To Tobster:
See ya later, shitlord!!!!

From Tobster:
<3 u

To Tobster:
TOBY I'M GONNA FUCKING KILL YOU!!!!

The bastard.

(A/N: sorry it took so long ... Fucking writers block. Hope you enjoyed it!! Oh, so, from that little segment, do you ship it? Or better yet - what do you WANT to ship?)