Chapter Two

"We're here!" Mom said excitedly as she parked the car and turned it off. She looked back at Lucas, Sally, and I. "Why don't you guys go and explore while we worry about unpacking?"

"Yeah. Let's go, guys." Lucas replies, enthusiastic as he gets out of the car. Sally giggles, kicking her legs as the giggle turns quickly into an evil maniac laughter.

I pull my own seatbelt off and open the door, glued to my phone as I wait for a signal. It finally comes and my phone gets bombed by text messages. Cocoa leaps out of the car onto the gravelly driveway. As I step out of the car, I open my messaging app and catch up on the texts from the group chat with my cousins, girlfriend, and a couple of my cousins' partners.

Ava: When are you guys getting here?

Mattie: Already here. I'm so excited!

Ami: Me too! Cameron?

Ava: I haven't heard from Cam since we called on her way here, so I don't know whether she's arrived yet.

Mattie: Cam, when you see this- all of us are dying to see you!

Sam: Yeah! We are!

Sidney: Oh, yeah, I'll be there tonight. I miss you guys!

That was the last message. I scroll up and back down, seeing that Sidney is typing.

Sidney: Got here earlier than expected, I'll be at the lodge.

I typed a reply. Hey, guys! We just got here!

Rachel: CAMERON!!

Mattie: She lives!

Sam: Cam!

Liam: CAMERON

Sidney: Hey Cam!

Ava: Hey gurl!

Cameron: How're you guys?

Sidney: Oh, great, y'know..

Ami: Yeah we're good!

Mattie: Dying to see you!

Ava: Hungry! We've got so much to catch up on, too!

Sidney: Absolutely!

Felix: Of course!

Chelsea: Definitely.

Josh: SO much!

Emily: Maybe even too much..?

"Kids! We gotta go in and unpack, alright?"

"Yep," I called back, typing an "I gotta go, I'll see you in a bit. Love you guys!" I turn off my phone and feel another buzz where it lies in my jeans pocket. I can see the lodge up ahead, a large wooden one that has a wraparound porch, three stories, lots of clear windows, flower pots hanging from the shade, the windows up above on the roof of the upstairs bedrooms.

"Cam, you gonna help us unpack?" I hear Dad call, grunting with muscle strain as he thumps another suitcase down on the gravel.

"Yep!" I shout as I lug my bag onto my shoulder and follow my family inside after closing the car door behind me.

Life at the lodge is nothing like back at home. Back home, it's always so boring, sometimes colorless. The paint is peeling, the floorboards always creak, and it has an ominous mood. Here, however, it always smells like tacos or curry. Here, the music or television are always on. Here, people bustle around, catching up on gossip and having fun. Here, it has a happy and colorful atmosphere.