CHAPTER NINE - VAANI (NOW)

The pre-performance jitters have already begun to hit. There's this gnawing feeling in my stomach and this sense that I'm going to cause a blunder and ruin everything. This isn't just huge due to the school and its reputation, but rather, this is huge for me because it matters so much to Aisha.

I can let the world down, but I'd rather die before I shatter a meaningful moment for her.

The last few days passed in a heavy blur of coming to school, practising, half heartedly attending classes, some more practising, going home, eating, sleeping, then repeating. There is a very comforting soreness in my muscles, a sign that I've been productive with my time and not just wasting away.

Mum had forbidden me from dancing in grade ten. She had even withdrawn me from my dance classes so that I could "focus on studies". I don't think it helped, though. The only thing that happened in consequence was me being grumpy about this whole issue, and having to dance in secrecy by closing my bedroom door.

Now that it has passed, I'm still reeling from my newfound freedom which felt so strange after the absurd and nonsensical restrictions that our parents and teachers put us through in class tenth. That doesn't even make sense considering the fact that eleventh is way more difficult than tenth. Tenth seems like a child's play in front of the humongous syllabus that we have to cover this year, but the sessions have just started, and it doesn't seem so scary right now. Maybe the pressure will hit later, but later is for later-Vaani to worry about.

Right now, my biggest challenge is to navigate through the labyrinth of children bustling around and reach the Cafeteria, where stupid me had conveniently forgotten her bag. My lehenga and accessories are all in there. I need to get ready soon.

The mandatory pre-ceremony Havan is going on right now. They don't start anything auspicious without it. I think that will last about three hours. We have to get ready within that time frame as our performance is the first one in the inauguration ceremony.

Children from the different schools have begun arriving on campus. Students from our school have already left, except our sports group and the bunch of us involved in the programmes. The school premise is crowded with young boys and girls. The noise is grating my already tense nerves. Fortunately, the cafeteria is empty and not open for the guests yet, so I swoop in and grab my bag. The lehenga feels heavier than the weight of responsibilities on my back right now.

I groan, trying to squeeze through the myriad of students bumbling about in this area aimlessly. Teachers are trying to guide them, but they are slow, and kids will be kids, so I'm pretty sure we can't start anything until they are all organised. Mumbling a small 'sorry' to a huge girl that I bumped into, I spin around and try to walk faster.

And collide face first with a figure.

It's a boy, probably not much older than me. He has deep, almond shaped eyes that hold a captivating amount of warmth and mirth. A cascade of sleek black hair framed his face, not a single strand out of place. The setting sun shone down upon him, bathing him in a rich glow.

I blink. He's also wearing a school uniform, one that wasn't ours.

Is this how you greet guests, Vaani Agarwal?

I shake my head, annoyed, as I look down to see the contents of my bag strewn across the floor. I gasp, horrified. Thankfully, my more-precious-than-life lehenga is still intact and safely within my bag. My books, though, weren't so fortunate. They are scattered upon the floor.

"Are you okay?" He speaks. His voice was like a melody to my ears, as rich as melted chocolate. I fumble to answer.

"Y-yes. Sorry for the trouble." I say, and begin to kneel to collect my books.