1.More College Recruiting Letters

Madelyn's (Maddi's) POV
Friday

"Maddi, you have more mail." My dad says as he opens the back door. I grab the basketball I was shooting and hold it. "College letters?" I asked. He nods his head. "Yeah." Walking over to him, he hands me the letters. "Vanderbilt, Tennessee, St. John's-" My dads head snaps up. "St. John's?" "Yep." He walks back inside and I finish looking at the letters. Once I finish, I walk up to my room and add the school's to the already long list.

Oregon
Florida State
BYU
Alabama
Texas
Texas A&M
UNC
Wisconsin
UCLA
Oklahoma
Vanderbilt
Tennessee
St. John's

I sigh as I set down my pen. One school. The one school I want to go to isn't on that list. The University of Georgia. Yeah, St. John's is where my dad went to college, but I want to go where my mom went. Dad had showed me Mom's old awards from college, and I wanted to do the same thing.

All-Time HomeRun Leader
All-Time RBI Leader
Junior Female Collegiate Athlete of the Year
Senior Female Collegiate Athlete of the Year
MVP of the Women's College World Series

That's what Im aiming for, to be known like Mom was. There was a knock on my door and Dad came in. "Maddi, you need to be going to sleep. You have a game tomorrow." He kisses my forehead and then turns the light off, going back to his room. I lay down on the bed and slowly drift to sleep.

My alarm goes off at 8:30 and I roll out of the bed. I take a shower and get dressed in my softball uniform then walk downstairs, where Dad was cooking breakfast. "Hey Daddy." I say as I kiss his cheek. "Morning baby." He hands me my plate and we eat breakfast. I put my plate in the dishwasher and walk back upstairs where I tried to get my stuff together. My phone was blinking, so I checked it. I saw I had 3 new messages, so I read them all.

From: Uncle Matt
Good Luck today Maddi!

From: Uncle Angel
Good Luck my favorite niece!

From: Uncle Tim
Good Luck today!

I reply back to them and put my phone in my pocket. Grabbing my bat bag from the corner of the room and my catchers gear bag from the closet, I walk downstairs. "Im taking this stuff to the car." I set it in the trunk of the car and then walk back inside. "Daddy lets go!" I yell in the door, trying to get Dad to hurry up. "Im coming!" He walks out the door and locks it behind him.

We get to the ballfield and I grab my bags. "Good luck Maddi." "Thanks Dad." I set my stuff down in the dugout while Dad goes to find everyone else. Pretty much the whole former Giants team comes to my games to cheer for me. I was staring at the field, daydreaming, when I heard someone yell my name. "Madelyn!" I spin around and see Uncle Madison standing there.

"How's your ankle?" He asked me as I walk out of the dugout. "Still a little stiff but it'll be fine once I stretch it out." This was my first game back from a sprained ankle, which I was lucky that's all it was. I was trying to tag someone out at home plate when they ran into me. Everyone said it reminded them of Uncle Buster's ankle injury. (Video should be in media)

Coach had us stretch and warm up, which really irritated my ankle. "Madelyn, you gonna be okay to play?" Coach asked me when he saw me wincing. "Yeah Coach, I'll be fine. Just a little stiff, that's all." They sing the National Anthem and then we start playing.

I bat 4th, in the clean-up spot. Our Center Fielder, Rebekah, bats first. She singled with a line drive up the middle. Our 2nd Baseman, Julianna, struck out which brought up our 1st Baseman. Kaley hit one to Right Field, going to 2nd while Rebekah went to 3rd. Then, I was up.

I was at a full count and I wanted to get on base. They threw me a curveball and I swung. Hearing the smack of the ball against the bat, I drop the bat and run. Rebekah and Kaley scored and I was rounding 2nd when their Right Fielder threw it back into the Infield. I slide into 3rd safely and the crowd that travels with our team starts to cheer. 2 More RBI's.

We went into the bottom of the inning winning 3-0. Their first batter doubled while their second batter singled. With runners on 1st and 3rd, I was prepared to tag someone out. Their 3rd batter hit the ball right to Kaley at 1st. Kaley stepped on the bag and then threw it to me, where I tagged out a runner at home plate. We got the 3rd out and went to the 2nd inning.

We ended up winning the game 7-5. I got all my stuff put up and grabbed my bags. Putting them in dad's car, I head back to where the group was. "There's the little star!" Uncle Ryan said. "You know, I think she's a better catcher than Buster." Uncle Sergio said. Bryce and Luke came up to me and we started to talk about the Yankees & Red Sox game that's on tonight.

We all came back to my house and hung out. I was walking through the hallway when I heard Dad, Uncle Madison and Uncle Buster talking. "There were more scouts there today." Madison said. "Yeah, I saw them also. I swear I saw a Georgia scout there." Buster commented.

A smile comes to my face when they say Georgia. "That's where she really wants to go. She wants to beat Bri's records that she set." Dad said to them. I walk into the living room and talk to Uncle George and Aunt Abigail. "So, how many schools have sent you letters?" George asked me. I grab the list and show it to them. "Bama, that's a good school." Abigail says with a smile on her face.

Everyone slowly starts to leave and go home. I change into some shorts and a tanktop and crawl into the bed. "Night Maddi." Is the last thing I hear before I drift off into sleep.
------------------------------------

Just heard something funny about Buster Posey on SportsCenter "Buster, Buster Posey!" The way they said it was flawless.

Anyways, Here is the first chapter. Let me know what you think!

(1110 Words)