015 | fleeting kairos

SERENA

SERENA

Serena plopped on the fluffy beds, her damped hair spreading over the comforter like a golden web.

The moment she landed in Hawaii, the excitement returned to her. She refused to dwell over silly thoughts because who knows when she will come back here again? Ash, Dawn and Paul weren't too excited because it wasn't the first time they had visited.

But Serena was, and Dawn caught her contagious enthusiasm too, pulling the honey blonde along to the famous shopping malls near their five-star hotel. Serena secretly wished that Ash would tag along but he left with Paul immediately to the project site.

And now after seven hours of exhausting shopping, Serena wanted to curl into a ball and sleep. However, she couldn't sleep and stared blankly at the ceiling.

'I wonder what Ash is doing' She often thought about him and most of her thoughts ended up coming back to her benefactor. Yet, she didn't dislike it. He was, if she dared say, her first friend after May.

"Friends, huh?" It left a bitter taste in Serena's mouth. She screwed her eyes shut, willing herself to fall asleep. She wanted to wait for him and greet him but was it necessary for her to do that? She was just his assistant and yet, she found herself missing him.

Just as she was thinking, a light knock sounded on the door. She sat up, her heart skipping a beat. She mumbled "Could it be . . .?"

Serena jumped up on the second knock, hurrying towards the door and pulling it open - and there he was, looking as handsome as he always looked. Just a bit tired perhaps but still the same. Her heart fluttered.

Ash peered down at her, a smile taking over his lips. He had packed off early because for some reason, his mind was stuck on Serena. He wanted to see her. He greeted her cheerfully "Hey Serena! Did you enjoy the shopping?"

"I did" Serena smiled, moving aside. "How did it go?"

"Very well" Ash shrugged as if he had handled it with ease. "Although it was mainly Paul who did the work. He scared the manager into talking with his superiors. Tomorrow we will have a meeting with them."

Serena bit back a giggle. Somehow she could imagine that. Ash looked at her for a moment, then shook his head and gave her a lopsided smile. "Wanna go to the night carnival?"

"Yes?" Serena didn't hide her bewilderment. "So suddenly. . .?"

"You don't have to if you don't want to" Ash ruffled his hair, flustered. "I just thought that you might want to see it, now that we are here -"