Chapter 11: Will You Please?

Y/N's POV

"As pretty and sharp as you can manage," I told my handmaidens, who had as usual gathered up in the morning to draw up a bath, "I also wish to wash my hair." "Is today something special, Your Highness?" the youngest, asked, inquisitively and was nudged by the head lady. She bowed and stuttered, "I'm sorry, my lady." "Ayy don't stop her," I said, "Your name was... Choyeong, right?" "Yes, Your Highness!" she said, her eyes twinkling, a bright smile on her face. She looked pretty young, too young to be a servant... "There's a council today," I told her, "There will be all sorts of powerful men there." Her mouth formed an 'o' as she nodded and I continued, "I might be the princess but I am supposed to be overruled today. But of course, I shouldn't let that happen, right?" She nodded vigorously and exclaimed, "Of course not, Your Highness! The council should follow you and not the other way round!" The head maiden nudged her again and I clicked my tongue in disapproval. "I apologise, Your Highness," she said, bowing. "So I should look as powerful, although I might not really feel it," I continued, looking at Choyeong, "For beauty can be a weapon to one who believes in it. So dress me up today."

~Time Skip~

"Good work, everyone," I said, staring at myself in the mirror, an image better than I could've ever dreamt up staring back at me. "Best luck with the council, my lady," chirped Choyeong, as they all left. I stared at the mirror, not catching the small sound of fluttering wings and was startled when someone suddenly appeared behind me in the mirror. "Lix!" I exclaimed, turning round to the fairy standing there with a smile on his ever-glowing face. "I heard about the council," he said, "Thought I'd cheer you up. But that's not the only reason I came." He stepped back, eyeing me from head to toe. "You do look great but there's a little something missing," he said. "What's that?" I asked, curiously. "This," he said, producing a small white flower from somewhere. "A flower...?" I said, uncertainly. He chuckled, stepping closer and said, "It's a gardenia, Your Highness," as he pinned the flower in my hair. He stepped back and circled me once before beaming. "It's perfect now!" he said. "Well thanks I guess," I said. "You don't seem to be in a very good mood," he said, tilting his head to the side. "I'm nervous to be honest," I said, rubbing my arm. "You don't need to be," he said, comfortingly. "Don't you have some magic that can make me the perfect princess. Just for today. Just for the council," I said, biting my inner cheek, "I'm really really afraid I'd do something stupid like at the Town hall..." Felix chuckled and said, "You were and still are a perfect princess. And if it makes you feel any better, that's not an ordinary flower." "What does it do?" I asked, at once. "It doesn't 'do' anything," said Felix, "But it's special. It's from my own garden." Before I could frown at him, he said, "Wha! Time really flies! I gotta go," and with a cloud of green glitter, he disappeared. I sighed, touching the flower lightly. Is it really useful...?

Hyunjin's POV

I was waiting for the beginning of the council in a chamber off the council hall, pacing back and forth in apprehension. That was until someone else walked in. I could only stare for a moment, my mouth hanging slightly open, the fragrant, soft smell of hydrangeas enticing me as she walked in, her midnight blue gown flowing around her body, cinched at the waist by a gorgeous silver belt, studded with diamonds, as was her tiara, a gardenia flower pinned on her hair as she walked in gracefully. I felt weak as she stood before me and spoke up. "Hyunjin," she said. "Yes, my princess," I mumbled, in a dreamy sort of way. "Hyunjin," she said again and I shook my head and said,"Yeah... Uh... You look gorgeous, my princess." "Y/N," she said, "You were going to call me 'Y/N'. But that's beside the point. I Uhmm... Need a favour from you." "Anything," I said, "Name it." "Will you please assist me in today's council? Take my side no matter what?" she said. A blanket was laid on my mind and I tried to shake it off as I said, "What do you need me to back you up about?" She looked down at her feet. The marriage. That's what today's council was about. My heart pained as I wondered what she meant to do. If she rejects me at the council, I would have to go back to my kingdom as I had promised on my honour to do. Then things would get complicated for the both of us. "Can you not side with me instead?" I asked, cupping her cheek and making her look at me, her dark eyes meeting mine, a slight anxiety visible in them.