Prologue

Shuhua slowly opened her eyes. A white ceiling greeted her. Her ears started ringing, and she could hear a beeping sound echoing around her. The smell of antiseptic also lingers.

She tried to look around, but her neck hurt like hell, so she remained looking at the ceiling while trying to remember what happened.

"Shuhua?" a deep voice called her.

Then her friend, Yuqi, showed up. "Are you alright? Do you want me to call the doctor?" The woman asked. She also caressed her head.

She couldn't answer back; instead, she just closed her eyes. "Wait for me here. Don't sleep," Yuqi said before walking away.

"Soo—" she tried talking, but her voice fainted. She could hear Yuqi's steps as she walked back to her.

"Soojin?" Yuqi asked her, assuming what she was trying to say. She just closed her eyes to respond.

After recalling what had happened to them, all she could think about was the woman for whom she cared the most.

I can't afford to lose her. I just can't.

A tear slid into her eyes; she could feel the dryness of her throat.

"Hey, don't cry. She's here," Yuqi said softly, and she walked on the other side of her bed.

All she could do was follow Yuqi's movements with her eyes. Then, the woman opened the curtains on the side.

Finally, she saw Soojin's face.

Unlike her state, Soojin has an oxygen mask. Her conscience started eating her from where she's lying.

If only I had let you be, this wouldn't have happened.

I'm sorry. From now on, I will protect you and everyone around you.

I promise.

©MindIsNotDead