What's stopping you?

2008

"What's stopping you?"

In reality, almost a thousand things were stopping you. But you decide to go with the obvious.

"The little girl who gasped at the taste of a peanut butter sandwich. That's what's stopping me. Natalie Rowley. Natalia Romanova. Natasha Romanoff. Y'know for a spy assassin person, you should really up your game on fake names." You muse as Natasha's eyes turn wide with a mixture of shock and distant memories.

"Y/n?" Natasha says with her mouth agape, not believing what's taking place.

"You just realised? Wow, you're slower than I remember. And shorter."

Natasha rolled her eyes.

"For someone trying to kill me, I think you're doing too much talking and not enough killing."

"Well it's good that I'm not trying to kill you then." You pause, looking at Natasha up and down. "How tall are you?"

"Five foot three," she shrugged.

"You haven't grown at all Natty. Who's the taller one now?" You tease, suddenly remembering your old nickname for her.

Nat gave a half smile. "I'm not short." Natasha shook her head, chuckling slightly. "You haven't changed one bit."

Both of you seem to run out of words, opting to stare at each other. Somehow, it wasn't awkward or creepy, it was beautiful.

It's just you and Nat. Like before. You'd look at each other after talking whilst looking up at the stars or chasing fireflies. Only thing missing was Yelena dragging you two inside to play princesses and make shadow puppets.

"Where's Yelena? What happened to you?" You say concerned.

Natasha looks down ashamed, guilty.

"I... I don't know. I hope Lena got out. She's strong, she must've."

"Did you two get separated?" You frown.

Natasha nods, then hesitates. She stares at you whilst finding words. 

"I used to- I used to imagine you saving me. In the Red Room. They destroyed me. I'm a monster." Natasha stays stoic, never cracking, never putting away her mask. 

"Natasha, you're not a monster." You bite your lip.  

At that moment, a black cat strolled in, slightly interrupting the moment.

You smile, "Who's this?"

You crouch down and pet the small cat, its fur was soft in your hands. she looked at you curiously, mewling slightly. 

"Liho, she comes here sometimes." Nat smirks at you.

You hummed in thought and stood up once again. 

"What are you doing in Budapest?" You ask curiously. 

"Mission. Anna Varga. Thirty-two. At least, she was." Natasha says in a low tone.