Chapter 6

Maelynn's POV:

The next day I woke up, took a shower, then got dressed in the school uniform. I went downstairs and found that my parents went to work early today. Since I moved here with my parents, we have been more focused on their work than me.

In the beginning when I was a kid, they hired a nanny to watch me while they were at work. They work for a hospital. I never really got to know my parents besides what I remember from when I was a kid. They didn't even take the day off for my birthday. They would leave a card on the table next to something they got while on vacation.

Apparently, they had time to go on vacation but not spend time with me, their only kid. This is why I was so attached to Hajime when we were younger. My nanny was a lot like a mom to me than my biological mother. She always celebrated my birthday with me and got me presents even though money was tight for her. She still tried to make time for me.

Once I was in high school and able to take care of myself, my parents fired her but gave her a good chunk of money. That was good enough for her to get her things and leave right there. She did give me another present and spent one last day with me, but I haven't seen her since then.

Anyways, I made myself a quick breakfast and headed out the door 15 minutes later. On my way to school i bumped into Hajime which surprised me. This was the first time since middle school that I've bumped into him on the way to school.

"Good morning, Hajime!" I yelled at him.

"Good morning, Mae. How was the rest of your day yesterday?" He replied.

"It was good. I don't know if my parents came home last night since I didn't see any sign of that this morning. How was practice yesterday?" I asked.

"It was good. We were looking at videos of our opponents for the practice match we have next week. So, nothing too fun but not too boring. Are your parents normally not home?" he said with a happy yet concerned look on his face.

"Yeah. I haven't seen them since I was a kid. They hired a nanny to watch me when I was 7 years old. They're too busy with their jobs to focus on me. But they have time to go on vacation without me because they're 'too tired to deal with anything'. It's annoying at times but I got used to it." I said like it was something casual to say.

We then fell into an awkward silence for about 10 minutes. Once we got a few streets away from school, Hajime said, "Would you like to sleep over at my house today? I figured since you're already coming over later why not stay the night."

"Sure! I just have to stop home then since I'll need a change of clothes." I said immediately without having to think about it. 

He just smiled at me happy that I agreed to stay over. Sadly, we arrived at school, and everyone wasn't staring at me like they usually do. I was confused until I looked over at Hajime and all he did was smile at me. I don't know what he did, but I made a mental note to thank him later by giving him something.

The rest of school went by quickly until it was time for lunch. I was waiting for Hajime to come back from the office since he told me to wait for him in the classroom. So, I was reading my book while waiting. Everyone had left so it was quiet. Just how I like it since it was easier for me to focus.

After about 5 minutes I heard the door open, but I didn't look up since I thought it was Hajime. But when I realized the person wasn't getting their bag, I looked up and saw Becca standing beside my desk glaring at me.