chapter 3

There was so much work to be done at the office that whole of the day passed in a daze. However, that did little to stop my thoughts from occasionally diverting back to the incident in the morning. It was more than a few time that my colleagues/friends would snap me out of my day dream.

That night when I got home, I discovered a little pink note with black ink stuck on the front of the fridge. It read;

Visiting my parents for a few days. Mom's a little unwell. Will be back asap. Keep in touch. Take care.
Love,
Olivia xx

A sigh escaped my lips. It was in that moment that I realized I'm so used to Olive being around when I'm at home, that I'm truly going to miss her.

----*----*---*---*----

I vividly remember how soft and warm Miss. Sparks felt against me, when we were stuck in the elevator. Like an idiot, I couldn't tear my eyes away from her brown gaze. Such shy, sweet and innocent being!

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that she was the same girl I had seen the other night boarding the bus.

A knock on the other side of my office door snapped me back into the reality.

''Come in.''

Peter, one of the guys that works for me, slipped in through the door with a black folder in his hand.

''Here is everything that I can find on Miss. Emily Sparks, sir.''

''That'd be all, Peter.''

I warily opened the file, ready to find about everything that I can know about her.

I quickly scanned all its contents. Emily Marie Sparks. Age 23. Parents deceased. Elder sister living in Miami. Married to a lawyer. Got a job here in New York in my company two weeks ago. Working in human resources Department. Under Donna Harper. Sharing an apartment with Olivia Caffery. 5'5'. Brown eyes.

Why can't I just get that girl out of my mind?!

I need some distraction. Maybe I should accompany Liam to the opening of a new five star hotel that we've built in Hawaii.

I intent to make the best out of this trip tomorrow and get Miss Sparks out of my system. Once and forever.

That night I attended dinner at my parents place. Every member of the family was present. Except for my cousin Mia as she is currently in college out of the town.

Christian showed up with his current fling for the dinner. Even if everyone was surprised, no one let it show on their faces. Apparently, Christian met this girl, Anna Hopkins, at a friends party and they are seen together ever since.

However something about that girl seemed off. Like she isn't what she appears to be. And I pride myself to be the best judge of the character.

As an elder brother, I'll have to keep my eyes open for him. I don't want him to do something that he might regret later on.

After giving my mother and aunt a hug, I bid everyone night and went off to my place.

Next day when we were seated in our private jet, on the way to Hawaii, when Liam suddenly turned towards me. ''What changed your mind, Xavi? You were so adamant on not joining me on this trip? What are you running away from? ''

I wasn't surprised that he was able to read me like an open book. He has known me all his life, supported me through darkest days and knows my worst fears.

When I didn't say anything, smirking, he continued. ''Emily Sparks is indeed someting. Or so it appeared when I interviewed her for the job.''

My face suddenly jerked left in his direction. I tried to hide my surprise but it was no use pretending infront of a person who knows you inside and out.