Chapter 6

*Song for this chapter: Happy & Sad by Kacey Musgraves*

October 15, 2021

"Why aren't you staying here with me?" I could tell Harry was getting frustrated and I was trying to figure out how to explain to him that I couldn't listen to him and Olivia ever again.

"Are you fucking kidding me? Every night for the last week that we've been in hotels, all I've heard is moaning, grunting, screaming, and the sounds of sex that make my skin crawl. You have to know. You have to know that I can hear the two of you!" 

Is what I want to say to him right now...

"Harry... I need space. Nothing is wrong, I just..."

"Do you not like Olivia?"

"This has nothing to do with how I feel about Olivia. It also doesn't matter whether I like her or not, all that matters is that you are happy and you respect when I need to step away."

He pulled his lower lip between his thumb and forefinger and shook his head. "It does matter to me how you feel about Olivia. I can't be with someone if you can't be around them."

"Harry, it has nothing to do with how I feel about Olivia. I just..."

"Is it me!? Why do you need space?" He held his arms out wide in question as we stood in the parking garage of his apartment building. His voice was echoing, but he took a slow breath before he continued. "We've barely had any of our pre-show routines because you duck out early now and when we are traveling, you prefer the band's company over mine, and you're going somewhere almost nightly and not getting back until entirely too late-"

"Are you tracking me?"

"No, I just... I hear your door when you get back and I worry because I don't know where you go so late. You don't take security with you and..."

"Harry, I go to the gym or I go swim. I don't ever leave the hotel, I just leave the room. It gets too loud and I need to clear my head." His eyes widen for a split second and he goes white.

"Jana." The way he says my name is like he's got the weight of the Empire State Building on his chest and he looks like he's going to be sick. "You..." he nodded slowly and I realized that he's figured out why I needed to leave my room. I'm instantly feeling like the sun is right behind me with how hot it is. "Shit, Ducky." The nausea is hitting now. 

"I just need space." I nodded and hoped I didn't look as sick as I felt. I'd heard him in the shower before when he thought I wasn't home but that was years ago and it took me entirely too long to realize what he was doing... When he was with Camille, we were never in the same house when she was around and I stayed on the opposite end of the hall and even separate floors from him. It all just... "We're alright."

"Fuck me." He pushed his fingers back through his hair and pulled at it a bit.

"You have someone for that already." I said it before I even realized I'd been thinking about it and covered my mouth with both hands and wide eyes. He looked at me in shock but also impressed. I shook my head, slightly mortified.