Chapter 13

*Song for this chapter: Home ft. X Ambassadors & Bebe Rexha by Machine Gun Kelly*

December 2021

When I pulled up to Anne's house, I got my luggage from the driver and stopped halfway up the path. I couldn't take another step for some reason, I stood there, freezing my ass off in the damn grass, just staring at the house. I knew she was awake, we'd just talked on the phone when I got in the car. I just needed a moment to make sure this was real. I stared at the windows, the soft glow coming from the lamps outside. I took a deep breath finally and started walking again. I heard the door open, and there she was.

I froze with one foot on the top step. I was afraid to shatter the moment like it was an antique Christmas ornament. "Oh, you're shivering, darling. Come inside!" She waved her hand at me as she held the door open but I just shook my head and stared. I couldn't force my feet to move. "Jana, are you alright, love?" That's when it happened. The dam broke in my tear duct, and I let out an absolute sob as I ran towards her, my suitcases falling backward when I let them go. I picked her up as I hugged her because I couldn't contain it anymore. "Oh, god. Jana, put me down, you'll hurt your back!" I just shook my head but put her down anyway and kissed her cheeks, sniffed her hair, and just held onto her like she was a flotation device and I'd been drowning in the ocean.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I'm sorry... I just, god I'm so sorry... I'm sorry." I couldn't stop apologizing. I think I was apologizing for it just being me without Harry or Gemma, picking her up, kissing her face, smelling her, and then saying I was sorry. She pulled her face back to look at me as I held on to her.

"Come on, love. Let's get inside then." She kept an arm around me and turned us to grab my luggage. She gave me one of the handles as she took the other and we walked inside and she locked the door behind us. I left my luggage at the bottom of the stairs before we walked into the kitchen together. I hadn't taken my eyes off of her and I know I was being overly dramatic, but I truly couldn't help it.

I was still bundled in all my travel layers. My beanie and scarf were slightly askew as I took off my gloves. I wasn't used to the chill yet. I hugged the countertop. I actually hugged the counter because I was just so happy to see it again in person. "I'm sorry. I promise I'll chill. I'm just..." I groaned as my eyes welled again.

"You just feel all the feels you need to. We've got plenty of time and I'm just so happy to see you standing in my kitchen again." She turned around to put the kettle on and then faced me again. "My heart is singing right now."

I wiped under my eyes before I finally took off my coat, laying it over the stool. "I didn't know when I would be back here and I was starting to feel like it would never come." I sighed and did a little spin with a squee. "It feels really good to be home." I covered my mouth and stared at her.

"This is your home too. You know that." She nodded toward the mugs. "Grab us some mugs, let's have a nighttime cuppa and get you settled. Are you hungry?"

I walked over to the mugs and grabbed her favorite and one for me as well. She grabbed the tea tin as the kettle started to let us know it was ready. "No. I grabbed a sandwich before I left the airport."

She fixed the tea for both of us and we walked in to the couch where she pulled out a blanket for each of us. I pulled off my tennis shoes, scarf, and jacket so I was just in my leggings, hoodie, and beanie now before I sat on the couch next to her. We sat together and talked until I started to doze in and out as we watched a movie. She was absolutely the medicine my heart and mind needed and I was so lucky to have this one-on-one time with her.

I woke up on the couch the next morning with one of the cats pawing and prodding at my hip. Anne must have covered me up and given me a pillow because the last thing I remember was her asking if wanted to go to brunch with her and Louise in the morning. I blinked my eyes a few times, trying to get them to focus.