☽ Chapter Sixteen ☾

𝕷ater that day they found themselves in the industrial parts of London. Fabrics were working nonstop and the grey smoke of the machines dirtied the air.

The world was changing rapidly during this new era. Everyone was consuming incredibly much and gangsters were on the rise. The roaring golden age. Aristaeus had always laughed about it. Nothing was golden about this age. But he still liked it.

They walked past workers, and surprisingly not many turned to look at Silthos.

The outfit had done some wonders. "I have a companion that smuggles stuff for the mafia. He can get us a place to stay." Aristaeus seemed calm on the outside, but his senses were sharpened. This part of town was known for kidnapping people and selling them. It seemed as if no one paid them attention but he knew that at least one person had noticed Silthos and his beauty. This alone was reason enough for the god to go for blood. Aristaeus would kill anyone that dared to come closer without a second thought.

Silthos felt unwell in this area. He hated these places on earth. Industry, the fire to keep the system and society working, he had seen his mother nature bleed for it. The smoke in the air, the fire in the forests and the oil in the sea. He saw her coughing blood more than once. When she died her soul connected completely with Earth, so physically she was all around him. But he didn't sense her anywhere around here. The cities made of stone made it impossible without the touch of the soft grass underneath him. The humans destroyed her every day a little bit more and her pain must be inconceivably. He stayed close to Aristaeus.

"We're not going to stay here for long. I just need to meet with him."

They had to leave the main street and walk into an alley to reach their destination. But with every step, Aristaeus felt the desire of the people around them more and more. They had followed them into the alley with clear intentions. "Silthos.", he whispered after a while as he felt them being followed. It made no sense to continue. "We're going to stop walking now. They have circled us."

Silthos stopped immediately and felt the eyes of people sticking onto them. He wished nothing more but to peel off his skin to be free from this feeling. His hands tickled. "I can feel your desire for blood, Aristaeus, but there are plenty of other ways to peacefully get out of this...", he whispered, not looking at him.

Aristaeus looked at the god with dark eyes and clenched his jaw. "Who do we have here?" Shit. A few men had surrounded them and one had stepped forward. Aristaeus could see the bulge of a weapon hiding in his pocket. "What's such a pretty dove like you doing here? Don't you want to leave this man and have some fun with us instead?" People like this weren't uncommon anymore. They were like rats waiting in the darkness to pounce on their prey. And they reproduced just as quickly as the little creatures.

Aristaeus really wanted to believe that this could be solved another way. Another part of him didn't. He touched Silthos' arm in a soothing manner and took off his hat. "My job is to protect you, Silthos. I don't want you to get near them. I don't want to dirty your soft hands in blood. The red would look dull in comparison to your beautiful hair. This in the only way for me.", he whispered, before putting the hat on Silthos' head to block his vision. "Stay close to the wall. And don't look." Aristaeus leaned down and deeply looked into his eyes. "Promise me you won't look."

Silthos had to tilt the hat a little to lock eyes with him. He swallowed. "These are only mortals, don't destroy their precious bodies...", the redhead whispered and stepped closer to him. They had learned that if they connected their powers they would expand. And to support Aristaeus at least a little, Silthos was gladly using it. His red eyes started to shimmer bloody and his voice darkened. "Make them bleed for me, Aristaeus...", he breathed against his lips and gave him a little devilish smile. Later he would realise how the bloodthirsty desire of Aristaeus had also overtaken his body a little. How the tickling in his hands had been the desire of Aristaeus. But joining forces was tantamount to sharing the same body. So strong, that you rarely notice the change in your own thoughts. You take theirs for yours. At least at that moment.