Chapter Five

"I thought you hated him. What happened? Why is he asking me if he can marry you?" My grandpa sat down next to me feeling confused and concerned. Xavier must have spoken to him after he left our house and looks like he also asked him to retire by giving him an extravagant retirement benefits. My grandfather has never looked more shocked in his life than right now.

"Grandpa, I know this looks so sudden and this must be surprising for you but I love him. We have been secretly dating all this time." I lied through my teeth and felt bad but I had no choice. There was no going back now. I was doing this for me and he would freak out if I told him the truth.

"I can't believe it. Is he blackmailing you, dear? He can be very rude and arrogant when he wants. to. We all know it."

"No, grandpa. You don't know him like I do. He is actually very good to me and he loves me too."

"I can't believe it. I'm hurt that you kept this from me for so long. When have I ever made you feel like you couldn't tell me anything?"

My heart broke that he was taking it personal. The truth was almost at the tip of my tongue and I tried to control my tears from spilling. God! This is harder than I thought.

"Because I thought you would disapprove, grandpa. I know how you feel about him."

"Yes, dear. We know how rich men like him treat people like us. He could be using you or manipulating you. How can you believe him?"

"If that's the case, why would he ask you for my hand in marriage? He really loves me, grandpa. He may look tough on the outside but he is kind and sweet to me."

I wanted to gag at the horrendous lies I was spinning to get this show on road as soon as possible. Xavier being kind and sweet? Never in a million years. I would have a heart attack if I ever see him smile in the first place.

"Listen, Aria. I'm not gonna stand in the way of your happiness but at the same time I can't stop worrying about this sudden marriage. What about your goal? You've always wanted to go to NYU? Now you're ready to be someone's wife? You're just 21, dear."

"I know, grandpa. Xavier promised to help me with NYU. I am not giving up on my dream. I'll make you proud one day, grandpa."

He gave me a skeptical look and shook his head. He reminded silent for a long time and it looked like he was lost in his thoughts before he finally opened his mouth.

"I hope you're making the right decision, Aria. I want you to know that I'm always gonna be there for you no matter what you decide." He added, holding my hand and squeezing it tightly. I could tell from the look in his eyes that he wasn't convinced and I kind of expected this reaction from him. He'll eventually come to terms with it when he sees me with Xavier. I just hoped that I wasn't a lousy actor.

"I know, grandpa. Thanks for having my side. I guess I wouldn't be a burden to you anymore." I joked and he narrowed his eyes at me.

"You were never a burden, dear. More like a blessing in disguise."

My eyes watered as I pulled him in for a tight hug, letting out a small sob. I realised that my life would never be the same. I was going to miss him and this house.

"I'm gonna miss you."

"I'll miss you more, Aria and this will always be your house. It always has been."

"I know." I whispered and hugged him tight, forgetting about Xavier and his deal for a moment as I soaked in the warmth of his hug.

—————————————————————————-
The next few days passed by in a blur as I had multiple visits from Xavier's men who drove me to the mansion regarding the paperwork. He even arranged his legal advisor to help me understand the terms of the agreement. Meanwhile, I didn't spot Xavier around the mansion during my visits and everything felt so formal and cold.