Mortlock

The door is just a few feet away. I take in a deep breath. Take a few more steps, and then turn the knob, just walk right in. I hesitate. Mr. Mortlock has asked to see me-all of a sudden. He is feared most out of all the senior managers. You don’t know when he will suddenly burst and eat you up, but you can take clues from his ever-scrutinizing beady eyes and the steady but dangerous way he walks. With every step he takes, the more suffocated you feel. Many people have been called to his office before, but it still didn’t make me feel safe. He has a record of firing every employee that didn’t bow down to his authority and threatened his reign, or employees that he just didn’t like to have around, for no reason.

I really need my job.

There’s no point in cowering in fear when I haven’t even walked into his office. And I’m sure he doesn’t like to be kept waiting. I take slow, careful steps towards the mahogany door that leads to the dragon’s lair. Why does something so beautiful and grand contain something so destructive? I am there, right behind the door knob. I take an interest in it, rubbing my sweaty fingers along the round, cold surface that glisten gold and I turn it.

He is already sitting upright in his chair that resembles a throne. It is black and very big. That must have cost him a lot.

“Mr. Oliver Nolan, you know, we practice basic courtesy around here and in case you have no clue as to what is basic courtesy, let me demonstrate,” he snaps and taps rapidly against the dark wood of his desk.

I just love how I like to mess up at one of the most crucial moments of my life. I forgot to knock on the door. Now I have nothing to say, so I stand there like a baby mouse in front of an unforgiving, merciless owl, my throat dry and my lips tight.

Mr. Mortlock eases into a smile, but his eyes are still dark and dreary, eyebrows furrowed so deep he has a mini grand canyon in his face. His hands lock against each other as they rest on the table but he releases his right hand and slowly, extends it towards the empty seat which I am supposed to take.

“Oh…uh Th-thank you, si-sir,” I stammer as I make my way meekly to the chair and grasp the handles while I sit down, preparing for a full blast burning session.

“Now Mr. Nolan, do you know why you’re here?” The dragon’s voice is eerily soft and smooth, like how a sharp blade of a sword would silently and easily slit a throat.

“Well, no sir,” I try to maintain my sanity. Of course I know why I’m here. I’m getting fired.

“That’s good, because I’d like to give you a surprise.” He bares his teeth and takes something out from the drawer and slides it across to me. It is a booklet, titled ‘A Guide to Workplace Safety and Health’. I am puzzled. So I am not getting fired? But this unusual action has an edge of danger to it. This means that unexpected things are coming.

“Wh-what’s this, sir?” I ask as I cautiously handle the booklet and flip through the pages. The title says it all. It describes various dangerous workplace acts and what one should do to prevent them and other stuff.

“I’m sure you are very familiar with the alphabet, so it wouldn’t be hard to read that, would it?” He says coolly.

“I mean to-to-what do I do with this, sir?”

“You don’t know?”

“I’m sorry sir, but I’m afraid so.”

Mr. Mortlock takes a deep breath and closes his eyes. He opens them again but he has a dark expression on his face, his eyes fixated on me. I find my gaze shifting away very quickly onto the soft, calming blue carpet on the floor.

“Mr. Nolan… You are a very fine and surprising individual. Please, don’t be modest. I’m sure you know what I’m talking about. Showcase your smarts and prove to me that I’m right,” he says in a rough voice.