02. Old Friends and New Faces

𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙃𝙚𝙖𝙧𝙩 𝙋𝙖𝙞𝙣𝙩𝙚𝙙 𝙞𝙣 𝙂𝙤𝙡𝙙;
02. Old Friends and New Faces

○○○

"Your Majesty, are you going to sulk the whole journey there?" You asked, looking up from the book you were reading, to Verad, who was sitting directly opposite from you.

"I am not sulking." Yes he was. "I'm just not looking forward to this trip." He scoffed in irritation. He was basically forced into this! You threatened to resign from your job if he refused to go! That's...basically illegal. It's not, but it should be!

But Verad went with it, for he could not afford to lose someone so important. So, like a good emperor he was, he sucked it up and was going to do his best to tolerate the very man he openly despised. For the only good thing about him was that he was loyal to his wife.

And as the royal aid...much less Verad's, it was patience that you need. Your father had taught you. And here you are, with the highest paying job anyone in Winderlade would want to have. But it wasn't the money that made you stay.

○○○

And in the Eastern Empire, it was quite a challenge for Navier, especially now that there was a third party in her marriage. However, important guests were arriving and as an empress, she is not to let a mere mistress stray her attention away from her duties... no matter how much it stung her heart.

Horses galloping became louder as a black carriage, in all its regal beauty, rolled in. Winterlade's flag waving in the wind with all its glory and pride and the royal emblem boldly sat on the carriage, on display for all to see.

The door swung open, and out came a lady, wearing what looked like a uniform for officials working directly under the throne, in all its white and elegant glory as a black cape sitting atop her right shoulder and cascaded down to the beauty's calf. Hair neatly framing her face and most crucially, a pin at her left collar to signify her loyalty to the crown.

And after her, another had stepped out of the same carriage. A man, but he was not wearing the same uniform she had. Rather, he truly looked like a royal. His looks perfectly matches his esteemed title. Many call him "The Beast of the Castle" for he was known for the fiercely sharp glare and the blood staining his sword.

The lady in uniform joined the man by his side, just a step behind him as she followed him to greet the monarchs of the Eastern Empire.

○○○

"The emperor of Winterlade greets your majesties," you gave a princely bow, as Verad gave a stoic nod, uninterested in the man infront of him. A fool, is what Verad likes to describe him. And now,  a fool with another woman clinging to his arm. Verad did not give them a glance, before making his way to greet the only other person he could tolerate there.

In contrast to how the other two were treated, Verad was more willing and friendly to Navier, much to her husband's dismay, but who cares about that fool? Certainly not Verad. 

"It is nice to see you again, Navier... you remember [Y/N], right?"Verad had a habit of calling people he is fond of by their firstnames and at this point of your career, you had given up on trying to change his habits.

You gave a polite nod to the woman, a sense of relief and familiarity overcame the initial awkwardness and sting in the empress' heart, and for what seemed like the first time in a while, she smiled genuinely.

And the woman that clung to Soveishe's arm, gave a curious stare, turning to ask her lover who these new faces were. 

Verad Montpelier, the beast of Winterlade. And [Y/N] Zavaratti, Winterlade's Unbreakable shield. Both are forces to be reckoned with. Winterlade's treasures. Many often wondered, that if these two forces were to combine through matrimony, would Winterlade's power be on par or perhaps overtake the other empires?