Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Tate

Several days later, I wake to the sound of shouting.

I grab my gun and tuck it into the waistband of my pajama shorts before snaking my way down the hallway. I instantly relax when I realize it's coming from Chase's room and it's only my parents and Chase yelling. Not intruders. Well. At least there's that.

"...you don't fucking get it!" Chase shouts.

"Then explain it to me!" Dad shouts back, almost sounding desperate. My dad is not an emotional person, so that's how I know something must be really wrong.

"You...don't understand!" Chase screams, sounding frustrated.

"No fuck that!" Mom's voice now. "You're not allowed to make your dad feel bad for worrying about you. Where the fuck WERE you?"

"Fuck off."

"Do not talk to your mother that way," Dad's voice is low and dangerous.

I wince as I make my way towards Chase's room. No one registers that I'm there until Chase's eyes meet mine. He rolls them.

"Great. Whole gang's here," my brother scoffs. He looks like a mess – his hair all over the place. He looks like he hasn't slept in days. He's got a backpack slung over his shoulder.

"Is this about school?" Dad asks calmly. "Do you not want to go? If that's the case, then that's fine. We just want you happy."

"You want me happy?" Chase scoffs.

Mom points her finger in Chase's face, "You fucking know it, punk. Now talk to us!"

Chase's eyes meet mine.

I cross my arms. He won't find an ally in me. I love my brother. I'd die for him. But I will not sit here as he keeps his secrets and disrespects our parents who have done nothing but love us unconditionally since the day we were born. He knows he's being unreasonable.

"Talk to me," Mom cries desperately. She braces her hands on my brother's cheeks. "We love you, Chase."

"You can tell us anything, l'venok," Dad adds. "Always. No judgement."

Chase looks like he wants to say something, but he shakes his head, stopping himself.

"I need air."

He grabs his duffel bag again and storms past me, I let my shoulder collide with his. He gives me one last look before he disappears down the hallway.

Mom starts crying, sinking down onto his bed.

Dad sits beside her wordlessly, stroking her hair, shushing her, trying to calm her down. I turn and run after Chase. Fuck this.

I don't know what the hell is going on with my brother lately, but I'm going to find out.

"Chase!" I shout.

"Leave me alone, Tate."

"What the hell is going on?!" I cry.

"Nothing!" he snaps angrily. This isn't him. This isn't my brother.

"Are you on drugs?"

"What?!" he snaps, giving me a look. "Are you fucking serious?