Chapter 3

Y/N watched as the sky began to dim, it's usual vibrant crimson dulling to a mellow purple.

He stood outside on his cabins porch eyes attentively watching the shift in time.

It was almost time.

Extermination day.

Mere hours before Y/N had resumed his schedule hunting and killing any beasts that stayed too close to his mountain.

Yet, there was a cautious tone to everything, even the beasts of Hell felt it in the air.

Y/N wasn't sure when the exterminations and began. Perhaps a few centuries after his death. Even so Y/N could see the necessity for it, Hell was overpopulated, Pentagram City housed dozens of millions of sinners, a number that had once reached into the billions.

Y/N took a deep breath and clapped his hands together. A circle of flame formed just a few feet in front of him. For several seconds nothing happened, then a figure burst from the inferno.

 For several seconds nothing happened, then a figure burst from the inferno

It was a horse, although it was an equine of the supernatural variety.

The skin on its face was missing, revealing a skull beneath. A pair of horns curved away from that leering skull and the mane of the beast was a viridiescent flame.

Y/N smiled and approached the beast, reaching into a pouch tied to his belt he drew forth several pieces of jerky.

He watched as the demonic horse snapped the meat up. It's jaw working back and forth to shred the meet between its razor sharp teeth.

"How have you been Maximus?" Y/N asked the question while stroking the flank of the creature.

Maximus pawed the ground it's hoof leaving a furrow in the dirt as it did so.

"Hmm well, I suppose we can fix that tonight. Eh?"

Maximus let loose an elated neigh, and it bowed it's head.

Y/N took that as his que, placing one foot on the stirrup he vaulted one leg over until he sat comfortably in the saddle of the creature.

Grabbing hold of the reins he lashes them forward and Maximus took off in a trot.

Maximus looked skyward to the darkening sky.

"The Exorcists will not be the only ones hunting tonight."

\*******/

The road to Pentagram City was empty, a simple four-lane highway connecting he City of Sinners to the rest of the Pride Ring.

A jagged mountain range encircled the city, ensuring getting in and out was a difficult endeavor. Even so the highway led to the only open entrance to the city.

As he neared it a massive tunnel had been dug through the mountain range and a series of checkpoints had been installed.

He approached the first one noting a bored looking imp who was placed as it's guard.