Chap 5

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN NICKELODEON'S AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER OR ITS CHARACTERS. I just harvest pakui berries, known to cure the poison of the white jade plant.

Zuko stood on the deck, his body partially turned to Lieutenant Jee. Both of them were naked to the waist and breathing heavily. The younger man raised his hands, and a blast of fire shot out. Jee sidestepped the flames easily, and, ducking down, tried to sweep Zuko's legs out. Zuko sprang backwards, but Jee kept advancing. Zuko dodged him, once, twice, and, the third time, he reached forward and grabbed Jee's vulnerable wrist, effectively ending the spar.

He smiled, although it only lifted one side of his mouth, and released Jee. The other man bowed to him soberly.

"Good, Prince Zuko, good. You showed power, but also restraint."

Zuko nodded, and walked over to Iroh. "Thank you, Uncle."

"But I also sensed that you were - unsettled."

Zuko toweled the sweat from his body and sat next to his uncle, seated at a low table, writing equipment spread around him. "Of course I'm unsettled. I want the avatar. I won't be settled until he is in the brig and we are back in the Fire Nation."

Iroh shook his head. This was becoming an argument that occurred all too frequently. "Perhaps you should -"

"I'm not talking about it right now, Uncle. You said that I was good. I will take that and build on it."

Iroh looked at him for a long while, concern etching his face. Zuko, tension and unhappiness written in every line of his body, had changed so much - that wonderful, kind boy was gone and replaced with a bitter, angry young man.

And he was a young man now - there was no mistake. His face and body had lengthened, and there was a growth of hair above his lip.

He was, also, an unhappy young man, and Iroh did not how much that he, Iroh, could help him with that. He did not know how involved he should get with it. The thing that would make Zuko the happiest, of course, Iroh could help him with not at all. He could help to distract him from his quest by encouraging Zuko's relationship with Lan Chi, but that, too, was fraught with problems, from Ozai's opposition to it to the fact that there was little chance of ever seeing her or indeed hearing from her. And, of course, there was also Zuko's own reluctance. It was obvious to Iroh that Zuko was still in love with his niece, but the young man had apparently decided that it was unfair to saddle Lan Chi with his burdens.

"We'll be at the nearest communication hub tomorrow, Zuko, so I'm finishing up the birthday package for Lan Chi. Would you like to include a note for her?"

Zuko looked at him sharply, then turned away. "No."

"Are you certain, Prince Zuko?"

"Yes, I'm certain!" It was a yell, and the other men on deck turned to look at the Prince, but Zuko did not care.

Iroh was long in answering. "Perhaps just a bit at the bottom of my letter. A post script." Zuko was silent, and Iroh continued. "Perhaps - Zuko sends his love."

He shook his head. "No."

"But -"

"I said no!" Another yell.

Iroh tried to remain unperturbed. "Well, what would you like to say?"

"Nothing."

"Zuko, you cannot say nothing. She will think you callous, or that you care not at all."

"So?"

"So, I understand that you want a clean break, but you don't need to break her heart."

Zuko looked out over the sea for a long time, then, when he finally spoke, his voice was so low that Iroh barely heard him. "Tell her -" he hesitated, "tell her -" he fumbled to find appropriate words, "that I send my - best wishes." He stood up abruptly, and walked off.