Chap 29

Cartoons » Avatar: Last Airbender Rated: T, English, Romance & Adventure, Zuko, OC, Words: 275k+, Favs: 339, Follows: 428, Published: Aug 9, 2012 Updated: Jun 22
822 Chapter 29
DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN NICKELODEON'S AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER OR ITS CHARACTERS. I just harvest plum blossoms for Miyuki's dinner.

Author's Pre-Chapter Notes: So, here you have it! Lan Chi's reunion with Zuko! Don't expect it to go smoothly. Thanks to bowow0708 and sunflower13 for their beta reading.

Lunch was a merry occasion; Iroh entertained them with tales of long-ago, and some of the tamer exploits of his travels with Zuko.

Lan listened raptly to every word. She could imagine Zuko in these stories, strong and handsome and brave - as she had known him two years before.

After lunch, Iroh announced that they were leaving with the tide, which was near nightfall, and that implication rushed into Lan Chi's head. She was leaving; she was really leaving. She might never see Ming, Fai, or Changda ever again.

She looked at Ming and Fai, who were talking animatedly with Iroh. They were both so dear to her.

And she had to say goodbye.

Ming noticed her face. "What's wrong, darling?"

Lan smiled sadly and shook her head. "Nothing. I was just - thinking."

Ming extended her hand. "Well, let's go take one last look around your bedroom, and make certain that you've gotten everything that you need."

Lan took her aunt's hand, and they excused themselves.

"So, do you feel ready?" Ming asked as they climbed the stairs.

"I think so. All my luggage has been loaded?"

"Darling, we needed an entire wagon for your trunks and boxes."

Lan smiled indulgently. "I'm not the one who insisted on packing half my furniture."

"Well, don't you want to be surrounded by familiar things?"

"No. I want to be in familiar surroundings."

"You know that you will always have a place here, and that I will always be on your side."

"I know, Aunt Ming. Thank you."

"I just want you to remember that. If you ever have need of me, just send me a message."

Lan stopped on the stairs and gave her aunt a hug. "Thank you."

When she pulled away, there was suspicious wetness in both their eyes. "Let's go."

Lan's departure was difficult, but after many hugs and kisses and promises of letters and visits, Lan climbed into Iroh's carriage. She leaned out the window as the vehicle pulled away, waving frantically at Ming, Fai, Changda, and the rest of the household staff.

After they were out of sight of the house, she settled back against the cushions, wiping tears from her eyes.

Iroh watched her with fondness. "I'm so happy that I could accompany you to Tao Xing."

She nodded, and composed herself. "I'm grateful that you can. But how did you get permission from Ozai?"

"I didn't."

Her eyes opened wide. "R - really? He doesn't know?"

"No need."

"But didn't he - forbid me from being anywhere near Zuko?"

"It's a moot point. He was concerned about Zuko marrying you, and obviously you are no longer available."

"No." She turned to look out the window. "I'm not."