Chapter 1

"I sptare at my reflection in the mirror why am I doing this to myself?" The sobering words of truth echoed through my head as I tried to ignore the school cheerleaders behind me. Over and over they whispered "Fatass Rose" like a chant. They reveled in the fact that their words effected me. I always pretended that they didn't but at the end of the day there was no use convincing myself they didn't.

Several crumpled notes flew my way during yet another dull grade 10 algebra class. I already knew what they contained. There was always at least 3 telling me to kill myself. 5 were dedicated to pointing out all of my flaws. But the one that hurt the most was the one from the boy I had spent the whole year trying to convince myself I hated. Jackson Bailey.

Since before pre-school me and Jackson were best friends. I remember our moms being close friends and we followed suit. From the day we met we were joined at the hip. From 1st grade when boys were throwing stones at me calling me a dork all the way to 9th grade when Alice pushed me down in gym and yelled earthquake, he was there. My knight in shining armor.

We had made a pact a few years ago to never stop protecting each other and be best friends forever. Jackson next to never had to be "protected" he has messy curly brown hair and light blue eyes. He has no trouble at all with bullying. He is always surrounded by a group of friends which has bothered me in the past but I got used to it. As the years went by he gained more and more friends while the only friend I had was him.

The day my world fell apart was 3 months ago on a frigid October morning. I was waiting for him to pick me up like every morning and he was almost always on time. Around 8:10 I called him wondering if he slept in. Instead I was met with a voicemail tone. Frustrated I began to jog to school as fast as I could knowing If I was late I would end up with yet another detention.

When I finally arrived at school I found Jackson leaning against his locker and intently talking to Alice! Of all fucking people? My constant tormentor since kindergarten? I angrily walked over and scathingly said "Thanks for the ride." Alice smirked when she saw how mad I was. "Rose I need to tell you something." Jackson said. I made a hand gesture telling him to continue. "I'm dating Alice." That was it.The cat was out of the bag. It was one of the few time in life that I was speechless.

"Don't you remember all of the times she's tormented me? All of the times she hurt me? And your going to date her?" I nearly screamed. "She apologized and said she never meant for it to go this far." He tried to calmly convince and his smoldering eyes sympathetically scorched into my own. I was beyond furious now. Here he was trying to convince me to forgive her! The girl that has made my life hell at school! She even pushed me to the point to where I was self-I quickly pushed the thought out, not wanting to start crying.

Instead of dropping it or shrugging it off I hotly glared at him and exclaimed "Its either me or her Jackson! You don't even know half of what she's pushed me to! If your really my best friend then..." I trailed off letting it soak in to them.

Without preamble I briskly walked away to my first class of the day. All of the sudden my confidence burst drained from me leaving me turning me into a dry husk. What did I do? I worried. Did I just lose my one and only friend? Over just one girl? My vision became blurry and I didn't realize I was crying until I tasted salty tears.