Chapter 1

You were the morning dew clinging to a wildflower, the unexpected sweetness in a bitter brew of coffee. Even now, with years between us, I remember how the first flutter of my heart against my ribs sounded like your name. The melody of it – soft, lilting – became the soundtrack of my days. Your eyes, those liquid pools of brown, always mirrored mine with a warmth that set me aglow.

Love like ours wasn't built in an instant; it was a symphony composed note by note over moonlit strolls and coffee-shop whispers. Each touch, a hesitant chord, each shared laugh, a crescendo. I learned to read your silences as fluently as the books stacked on your bedside table. Your shy smile, the downturn of your lip when worry gnawed at you – it was a language only my heart understood.

Do you remember how we'd map out constellations of freckles on your shoulders under the summer sky? We weren't simply in love; we existed in the spaces between each other, breathing the same air, dreaming the same unfurling future. But life, it seems, had a different song in mind.

Distance, that insidious thief, clawed its way between us. It wasn't a dramatic rupture, no cataclysmic fight. Rather, it was a gradual ache. Phone calls stretched longer, replaced by hastily typed messages in a feeble attempt to fill the widening chasm. We tried, oh, we tried to water the roots of what we had planted, but our resolve couldn't replace the sunshine of closeness.

Doubt took root. Each passing night, shadows stretched mockingly in my empty room. Had your voice always held that tinge of weariness? Was there a touch of obligation in your "I love you's"? It would have been easier to rage, to lash out in blame. Instead, a dull grief sank into my bones, stealing the vibrancy out of our once-brilliant world.

I became skilled at wearing a mask. For my friends, I was still the bright, slightly awkward girl they knew. Only in the mirror's unforgiving reflection did I see the haunted shimmer in my eyes. When I spoke about you, it was past tense, like a worn-out movie I revisited for fleeting nostalgia. I couldn't quite bear to think of your name as present tense, as if you still inhabited the core of my being.

People call young love a wildfire, consuming and fleeting. Yet, the scars of ours have endured. Perhaps that's the saddest part—knowing that even after everything, I would still feel a flicker of something warm ignite if I heard your voice in a crowd. Would your eyes still find mine? Would they hold a glimmer of remembrance or have I faded into the tapestry of past loves, a bittersweet melody echoing in the recesses of your heart?