14

It had been a week since I had run away from the avengers. I had seen them scouting all around New York since, but I knew how to keep myself hidden. Staying in the alleys and the shadows most of the time wasn't terrible. I made a few street friends, people who had no home like me. They were friends who you would either sit with in comfortable silence, or have deep two hour-long discussions about our lives. 

There was one girl, Emma, who I felt weirdly about. She was a tall, slim, good looking girl, about my age with dark brown hair that was always in a ponytail. Something about her seemed odd, like she wasn't actually Emma. She would always come up to me and speak to me first. I never acknowledged her, it was always her first. I didnt want to be around her because she creeped me out. Anytime I saw her shivers ran down my spine, and that didn't seem like a good sign to me. 

There was a man too. A man that looked so familiar, but every time I tried thinking of who he was, the thought slipped from my mind. Like a word you just can't grasp. I knew I had seen him before, multiple times, I just wasn't sure where. I wanted so badly to go up to him and speak to him, to ask him why I knew him. But I didn't, and that was because Emma kept warning me of him. 

Even though I wasn't too fond of Emma, I trusted her. The way she told me to stay away from the man so sincerely, so seriously, made me believe her. Not that the man looked so loving, he wasn't one you would ask for a favor. He had perfect features, perfect face harmony, except it was the cold stare he emitted from his eyes that made people stay away from him. His eyes never changed expressions, they were locked in a cold, oblivious state. It was almost as if you walked into his gaze and you would be cut in half.

Right now I was sitting on a fire escape, dangling my legs over and watching the red-iron suit fly around the sky, searching for me. I had made firewalls upon firewalls on my account so nobody could find me, especially not the avengers. I suddenly heard a loud bang right behind me. Thinking it was Tony, I jumped up, ready to run, but it turned out to be Emma. How had she found me, it was almost as if she had been following me. Nobody ever came to this alley, let alone Emma. 

"Ugh, hey what are you doing here?" I asked her, breaking the silence. 

"Just wanted to talk, I was bored." She said, taking a seat right next to me. 

"Oh," I wasn't too sure what to say.

"Why do you think Iron Man is flying around, he looks like he's trying to find someone?"

My heart jumped, she couldn't know that I had lived with them. Even after all the long conversations I had with her, I never once brought up my relation to Tony or any of the avengers. I started sweating just a bit, but took a deep breath to calm myself down, there was no reason Emma would know, right?

"I don't know," I retorted, trying to seem uninterested by the topic so she would move on.

"I think it's because Loki ran away from them. At least that's what I heard." She said and shrugged. 

My breath caught in my throat. The handsome, perfect, gorgeous looking man that I had left at the tower. The funny, smart, amazing man I hadn't said goodbye too. After everything we had done together, I had just left without even telling him. I never even got to speak to him after the incident happened. I had dreamed of him, him comforting me and telling me it wasn't my fault. But a dream is just a dream, and in reality I had left him. 

I swallowed, trying to form words, but I couldn't. Emma was smart, she knew when something was up, and she knew that was right now.  

"What's going on?" She asked, catching on to me.