PROLOGUE

Prince Vaelor Targaryen had been the first and only son born to King Viserys Targaryen, the first of his name, and his first wife Aemma Targaryen.

His birth had been a tragic one.
Full of screams and blood.
And silence.

Tragic, for he would never feel the hold nor the love of his mother. Only the lingering shadow and whispers of how he was responsible for the Queen's death.

And the tragedy would continue to follow him. Many would ask what good it did for the Queen to die when he was so weak as an infant.
Always sick and crying.

While they prepared his mother's pyre the maester had claimed he would not live past the morrow. He would soon lay in a pyre of his own.

Due to this and his love for his wife, King Viserys named his only daughter Princess Rhaenyra his heir.

But Vaelor Targaryen proved them all wrong.
A year later even after the plenty of nights he grew sick, he lived. He showed them that the blood of the dragon flowed through his veins.

He had been cared for by both his sister Princess Rhaenyra and Lady Alicent. He had been much closer to Lady Alicent as his sister was only around when she was.

Whispers would follow saying she could not forgive nor love him for taking her mother away.
Others would whisper she wished for the stranger to take him for there is no one to challenge her claim to the Iron Throne if he was dead.

But as the first anniversary of the Queen's death passed, the council pushed for the King to remarry. Whispering in his ear and rooting the words into his mind:
A King always needs his heir and a spare

His claim on Rhaenyra never faltered. He would uphold her claim as his heir and Vaelor his spare. But he knew what he had to do to maintain the kingdom at peace.

He married Alicent Hightower.

Queen Alicent had raised Vaelor as if he were her own. She never made him feel alone and showed him the love of a mother. Never pushed him aside as she gave birth to his siblings.

Despite Rhaenyra's wishes, Queen Alicent had them raised together. She knew the love between siblings was everything.

Queen Alicent knew Vaelor would fight to keep her children alive when the time came for Rhaenyra to ascend the Iron Throne.

✩₊˚.⋆☾⋆⁺₊✧ᡣ𐭩✩₊˚.⋆☾⋆⁺₊✧✿✩₊˚.⋆☾⋆⁺₊✧౨ৎ✩₊˚.⋆☾⋆⁺₊✧

enjoy!
- star 💫