Part 1: First Murders

This newest story begins with our protagonist. Carley Walker's dimly lit bedroom. She sits on her bed, engrossed in her phone, engaged in an iMessage conversation with her friend, Jason Carvey. The room is adorned with posters of horror movies, hinting at Carley's love for the macabre.

Carley: (typing) "So, Jason, have you heard the latest rumors about the Smiley Face Killers? It's all over the news and social media."

Jason: (typing) "Oh, those urban legends? Yeah, I've heard about them. People say they're these mysterious killers who leave smiley face symbols at the crime scenes. But come on, it can't be real, right? Just an urban legend."

Carley: (typing) "That's what I'm thinking too. It's probably just a bunch of hype. People love to make up scary stories, especially when it comes to the internet. I mean, what's next? The Emoticon Ghost?"

Jason: (typing) "Haha, yeah! The LOL Killer strikes again! 😂 I can already see the headlines. But seriously, it's all just a bunch of nonsense. We live in a world of viral trends and fake news. Let's not get caught up in the hysteria."

Carley: (typing) "Agreed! We've got enough real-life worries without adding urban legends to the mix. I've got my own problems to deal with, like finishing this homework before tomorrow's deadline. Ugh, the horror!"

Jason: (typing) "Tell me about it! The horrors of schoolwork are unmatched. Stay focused, Carley. Don't let the Smiley Face Killers distract you from conquering your academic demons!"

Carley: (typing) "Haha, thanks for the pep talk, Jason. I won't let those imaginary killers stop me. Now, back to the grind. Wish me luck!"

Jason: (typing) "Good luck, Carley! Crush that homework like a final boss. And remember, the Smiley Face Killers are nothing more than pixels on a screen. Don't let them get under your skin!"

Carley: (typing) "You're right, Jason. They're just another internet fad. Now, time to vanquish this homework monster. Thanks for keeping me grounded. Talk to you later!"

Jason: (typing) "Anytime, Carley! Focus, conquer, and slay those assignments. Catch you on the flip side!"

Carly and Jason are unaware of the dark presence lurking in the shadows, the stage is set for the horrors that await them. Little do they know that their skepticism about the Smiley Face Killers will soon be put to the test, plunging them into a nightmare they never saw coming. The online world can be a treacherous place, and Carley and Jason are about to learn that firsthand.

The tension starts to build as Carley picks up her phone and texts him back, continuing their lighthearted banter, their conversation venturing into the realm of the Smiley Face Killers once again. Carley, caught up in the thrill of the moment, decides to share a chilling theory she stumbled upon.

Carley: (typing) "Hey, Jason, have you heard about this creepy theory? It's called the "I did it for the lulz" theory. They say that if you type that phrase three times, the Smiley Face Killer will appear and... well, let's just say it's not a happy ending."

Jason: (typing) "Oh, really? That sounds like an urban legend within an urban legend. You don't actually believe that, do you? It's just another spooky tale to keep us on our toes."

Carley: (typing) "Haha, no way! I'm not falling for that. It's just a joke, right? I mean, come on, the Smiley Face Killer popping out of thin air? That's the stuff of nightmares, not reality."

Jason: (typing) "I'm with you, Carley. It's all in good fun. Let's not give these stories any more power than they deserve. So, how about we change the subject and talk about something less chilling? Like... your plans for the weekend?"