CHAPTER 1 OF 8 - LUCAS X

CHAPTER 1 OF 8

LUCAS X

MASSIVE TRIGGER WARNING - SUICIDE, ALCHOLOISM, DEATH, DEPRESSION... VARIOUS THINGS THAT MAY BE UPSETTING TO CERTAIN READERS. READER DISCRETION IS ADVISED

OCTOBER 21, 1986

Lucas sat in his room in front of his desk.

The only light was the lamp shining down on him at his desk.

Lucas is covered in sweat and tears.

He picks up a pen and begins to write on the piece of paper he tore from his notebook.

Dear whoever is reading...

If you are reading this... I'm dead.

I killed myself.

Why did I do this?

Well, if you know me at all... You know this won't be a surprise.

My life for the past three years has been a big world of shit.

Three years ago, November 6, 1983... One of my best friends, Will Byers... Died in an accident. He was riding back from us hanging out at Mike's house, and some drunk idiot hit him and ran him down.

Nothing's ever been the same after that.

His mom went crazy, insisting she was sending him messages through the walls... She's in the sanitarium.

His brother Jonathan went crazy too, tried to kill Nancy Wheeler and is in prison now.

A year later, El died.

Nobody even knows what happened... They just found her out in the woods.

El... She was so sweet. So kind... She never did anything to anyone.

Mike was so devastated... He killed himself.

Then on the 4th of July last year, '85... Dustin and Erica died. There was an earthquake here in Hawkins, Dustin and Erica were still inside the mall. They're gone. Dustin was my best friend.

Erica... I never got along with her, I won't lie... But she was my sister.

Mom blamed my dad, and they divorced.

Dad drank himself to death right around Christmas.

I moved in with Max and her mother in her trailer.

I admit, for the past almost year since that last Christmas... Things were looking up. I was happy with Max. We were happy.

Now Max is gone.

There was ANOTHER earthquake here in Hawkins, Max was at the grocery store, right at the epicenter. 20 people died... Max was one of them.

That happened yesterday.

God... If you're out there... Why are you doing this to me?

Why are you punishing me like this?

Will... El... Mike... Dustin... Erica... Dad... Max... They're gone.

What do I have left?

Nothing.

The world has taken everything from me... Except for me.

So now... I'll do it myself.

Goodbye, everyone.

Lucas puts the pen down.

He then picks up the knife and puts it to his wrists.