Chapter 1

NIGERIAN ARMY HEADQUARTERS.
ABUJA, NIGERIA.

The sun shone brightly in the clear blue sky creating mysterious shadows as the clouds ran into each other. The air is intense and focused as the soldiers stand with their back erect and straight with their eyes forward. The whole atmosphere was completely silent and if a needle was to fall down to the ground, the sound of it would resonate. The air was filled with tension and anticipation as the soldiers awaited the general's order.

The general wore his full uniform, which always distinguishes him from other soldiers. His uniform is a dark blue coat with four stars on the epaulets and gold braids on the sleeves.His cap has a unique design with a gold embroidery band around the crown and a black patent leather visor. It also has gold colored chinstrap and a black cord and tassel with an eagle insignia on the front that represent the Nigerian Army.

He walked firmly with his broad shoulders and he assessed them all. He walks with a strong and confident stride. His posture is upright as he carries himself with a sense of authority. He exuded dignity and pride, every step he takes is measured and deliberate. His whole demeanor screams excellence, assurance and confidence, with a face so serious, focused, sharp and intelligent. His black eyes with long lashes that showed courage in them, he eyed everyone as he spoke. His nose is very thin and pointed with a bridge that is high and arched. His beard is full, thick and lush, nicely trimmed to perfection, deep black that compliments his olive skin and of course, his masculine appearance. His mouth set in a determined thin line. His voice very strong yet steady, he spoke with conviction with words chosen carefully and precisely. There is no room for doubt or hesitation in his voice. He exudes a sense of wisdom and experience. He takes each step with purpose. The whole place was tense and his voice was the only thing heard apart from the echoes of birds that sang from afar. Their whole attention was at him with their shoulders pulled back and their chin up. They focused their gaze at him.

"Soldiers, you will deploy to the designated location at 0800 hours, you will carry out your mission with speed, precision and courage, remember your training and remain focused on the task at hand. I have full confidence in your abilities and I know you will succeed, dismissed!". They all raised their right hands to their forehead with their fingers straight and their palms facing down, they saluted him. The general acknowledged it and returned the salute and they dispersed. All the soldiers moved with precision and purpose eager to fulfill their duties and not let their general's hope in them down. They all settled in their cars and went on their way to their camps.

He walked into his room in the headquarters and sat down at the edge of his bed. He removed his cap and held it in his hands. He heaved a sigh but his moment of solitude was disrupted when a soldier who was assigned to stay at his door made an appearance before him. He saluted him and he nodded his head in response " Sir, Colonel Abdulsamad wants to see you" He informed him. "Let him in" he commanded.

"General Arshad Mustafa Siddique". The colonel called him by his full name as he made his way towards him and saluted him In a dramatic way. He gave him an 'are you serious look' and Abdulsamad gave him a small smile.

" What brought you here Colonel?" He spoke in a serious voice. Abdulsamad sat beside him, removed his cap and kept it beside him. "I came to meet my friend, is it a crime?" He asked with a smirk.

"No, I wanted to rest right now, I'm going back home tomorrow"

He gathered his thoughts for a while before saying "I don't want to, but Mama insisted on seeing me. And my annual leave is here." He informed him and released an exasperated sigh, acting as if he didn't want to go.

"General, I must say, you are different from others. You should be happy that you'll be resting for a while but I wonder why you don't want to go." He pointed out.